Water Geysers (Fountain)

mnittler

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2012
South Texas
When the slide was installed, the pool contracter installed 2 each 3/4" fpt flush with the bottom in the beach landing connected to the slide water supply pump line. This makes a small fountain effect on the pool surface of the shallow beach landing. I installed a short piece of pvc pipe to get it closer to the surface, then a longer piece with a 45 degree on the end to shoot the water back into the pool. The water stream just seems to drop away from the stream like a yard sprinkler. What is the trick to make the water stay together in a stream. I have seen dancing water streams and they stay together until they hit the water so I know it can be done. I guess I just want to do it on the cheap. Pros and Cons to fountain effect?

What you're describing is laminar flow. You can make a device using sponges and straws inside the pipe to create the straight flow pattern and then reducing the flow through a smooth tapered nozzle.

There are lots of DIY laminar fountain projects out there. Here's one I found that's pretty simple.

I think you need a nozzle of some sort to keep the flow together ... I think any defect can cause the water to fall apart ... like Dave mentioned, you need laminar (non-turnbulent) flow.

What you have now sounds like it will do a good job of aerating the water which will result in cooling the pool in the summer (like a misting system) ... at the same time though it was cause the pH to drift upward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.