Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Geysers (Fountain)

1. Back To Top    #1
    South Texas

Water Geysers (Fountain)

When the slide was installed, the pool contracter installed 2 each 3/4" fpt flush with the bottom in the beach landing connected to the slide water supply pump line. This makes a small fountain effect on the pool surface of the shallow beach landing. I installed a short piece of pvc pipe to get it closer to the surface, then a longer piece with a 45 degree on the end to shoot the water back into the pool. The water stream just seems to drop away from the stream like a yard sprinkler. What is the trick to make the water stay together in a stream. I have seen dancing water streams and they stay together until they hit the water so I know it can be done. I guess I just want to do it on the cheap. Pros and Cons to fountain effect?
    21,500 gal sport pool, 8' spa, beach, 400k btu LP heater, Pentair IC60 SWG & #300 Tablet Feeder, 60 sqft DE filter, Paramount in-floor PoolValet 3 cleaners, Debris Canister, Polaris 360, Pentair VFD 3hp pump, IntelliPh, Geysers & Turbo Twister Slide w/1 hp pump, Color LED Pool & Spa lights, E-Z Touch8 control system, Wireless controller. Test Kits:TF-100, Taylor K-1004, CYA K-1720, Phosphate K-1106, Salt Water K-1766, Hach CN-39WR.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Water Geysers (Fountain)

What you're describing is laminar flow. You can make a device using sponges and straws inside the pipe to create the straight flow pattern and then reducing the flow through a smooth tapered nozzle.

There are lots of DIY laminar fountain projects out there. Here's one I found that's pretty simple.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

I think you need a nozzle of some sort to keep the flow together ... I think any defect can cause the water to fall apart ... like Dave mentioned, you need laminar (non-turnbulent) flow.

What you have now sounds like it will do a good job of aerating the water which will result in cooling the pool in the summer (like a misting system) ... at the same time though it was cause the pH to drift upward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    NE Kansas

Check out YouTube for homemade laminar jets, many interesting designs and even some lighted ones. Cool project for the DIYer
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.