New plaster, white stuff brushing up

keene3b07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 9, 2011
Recently started caring for a new pool. The pool is about 6 weeks old. I have been taking care of it for one week. It is a pebble tec surface. It has an IC 20 although it has never been used because it is too cold. When the surface is brushed white stuff comes off the surface. It looks like it is DE but i don't think there is any way that it is. Is this something to do with it being a new pool?

FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.2
ALK 40
CH 300
CYA 50

I know the PH and ALK need to be raised, could this have anything to do with it?

Almost surely it is plaster dust. It needs to be brushed regularly and it will go away as the plaster cures. (It should have been brushed from the beginning but that's water under the bridge)

I would leave pH and TA alone for a while. There will be a tendency for new pools to rise in pH so I would just leave it where it is and watch it for a bit. Any pH reading in the 7's is harmless enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.