Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New plaster, white stuff brushing up

1. Back To Top    #1

New plaster, white stuff brushing up

Recently started caring for a new pool. The pool is about 6 weeks old. I have been taking care of it for one week. It is a pebble tec surface. It has an IC 20 although it has never been used because it is too cold. When the surface is brushed white stuff comes off the surface. It looks like it is DE but i don't think there is any way that it is. Is this something to do with it being a new pool?

FC 5
    CC 0
    PH 7.2
    ALK 40
    CH 300
    CYA 50

I know the PH and ALK need to be raised, could this have anything to do with it?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: New plaster, white stuff brushing up

Almost surely it is plaster dust. It needs to be brushed regularly and it will go away as the plaster cures. (It should have been brushed from the beginning but that's water under the bridge)

I would leave pH and TA alone for a while. There will be a tendency for new pools to rise in pH so I would just leave it where it is and watch it for a bit. Any pH reading in the 7's is harmless enough.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Re: New plaster, white stuff brushing up

As you continue to brush, keep running the filter. Filter time should eliminate the dust issue eventually.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT