Pool Started! - Pavers this weekend!

Jul 26, 2011
I have my design out to bid to 3 companies in the Salt Lake City area - pretty nervous. There is not enough pools/competition in the area. Attached a picture, the drawings are actually 3 pages, but I deleted information off the first page so it would be small enough to attach. Wish me luck!

Re: Pool Design out to Bid

My first bid came in from a company that I knew would be on the high side (we have a total of 4 companies bidding), I almost fell out of my chair $147,000?

The second bid was $88,000, still higher than expected, I was guessing around $75k - $80k, but what a difference between the two. There might be about $20k in "upgrades" on the second bid, but still $127,000?

I should have the two other bids by tomorrow.

Re: Pool Design out to Bid

Details from 2nd bid, the first bid was about a million pages :)

We would like to submit this bid to furnish the labor and materials to construct the pool which plan was submitted job #xxxxx from xxxxx. The following items are included:
-Building permit
-Excavation and removal of spoils
-16’ x 44’ steel reinforced gunite pool shell according to specified plans
-1/2 “ steel rebar used throughout entire pool shell
-Two 5G color LED underwater pool lights
-Two surface skimmers
-Dedicated vacuum line
-Two Paramount bubblers on tanning ledge
-suction and return plumbing installed for future slide
-Poured in place stamped cantilever concrete coping
-6” band of frost proof waterline tile
-Matching trim tile on step and bench edges
-Automatic safety pool cover with concrete box
-Walk on deck lid kit with stones to match coping for auto cover box
-Diamond Brite plaster finish
-Pentair Intelli Flow variable flow circulation pump
-Pentair Intelli Flow variable flow water feature pump
-Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter
-Pentair Master Temp 400,000 Btu natural gas pool heater
-Pentair Intelli Chem chemical automation system, equivalent to BECS unit
-Stenner 45 feed pump
-Pentair CO2 feeder and CO2 tank
-Pentair IntelliZone Ozonator CD-5 without contact vessel
-Levelor electronic autofill system
-Specified gauges, thermometers and flow meter
-SR Smith Swim and Spike volleyball set
-SR Smith Dual Post Basketball set
-Vacuum head & hose, 16’ extension pole, wall brush, debris skimmer net, water test kit
-One spring opening and fall winterization
-Customer training session with ongoing tech support

Total price for pool construction $88,755

Items not included in this bid:
-Engineering
-Extension of utilities to equipment pad
-Concrete equipment pad
-Repair of landscape or sprinkler system
-Electrical connections at equipment pad

Additional item pricing:
-Broom finished colored concrete decking with saw cut joints $6.25/sq.ft. plus pump
-Hydrazzo polished plaster finish $3,900
-Electrical connections to pool equipment $850

Re: Pool Design out to Bid - does the quoted bid look comple

Not too many comments on my information, so a direct question, do I need an ozonator? Looks like that is usually installed in commercial pools, is my pool over engineered?

I'm receiving quotes for a new build in AZ. I don't think you need an ozonator. What about your heater? Could a heat pump work in your climate? More $ up front but huge savings over twenty years in energy savings?

You do not need an ozonator and, in fact, will waste your money if you get one.

You probably are not getting much response because equipment issues are not all black and white.

Asking much more specific questions one at a time gives folks the opportunity to answer carefully and not try to cover so many subjects in one post.

duraleigh said:
Yu do not need an ozonator and, in fact, will waste your money if you get one.

Yu probably are not getting much response because equipment issues are not all black and white.

Asking much more specific questions one at a time gives folks the opportunity to answer carefully and not try to cover so many subjects in one post.

Thanks for the direction on questions, I will ask more specific ones. I wish I was in a an area with a large demand for pools, seems like SLC is just plain higher in price :-(

I have two more bids still, just threw another company in that a friend recommended.

Signing a contract today, the company I went with was the lowest (with that being said, I like his work and he has a relationship with my best friend who builds custom homes, so I should be taken care of).

His bide was right at $73k, the other bids came in at $84k, $92k, $110k and $130k, all from the same exact specs, pretty amazed at the spread???

He is telling me I will be swimming by the end of May unless weather becomes a huge factor. Pretty excited, I will post pics throughout the process.

Thanks for all the help from the board members!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Pool Started!

It's looking good! We are just ahead of you at this point (that could change). Our pools are more similar than different. What brand of autocover are they installing? Ours is Coverstar because that's what the PB uses after doing his research (that and the local folks for them are good). I'm sure the installers/service guys have a lot to do with people's experiences with any cover. I was also interested in Aquamatic. The cover is about 1/3 of the base pool cost for us, excluding decking/walls. Not cheap but I'm really excited about that aspect of the project.

Here's to good pool building weather!

We are installing an APC pool cover. The pool company we are using for the install also has a division who represents APC for the area. He promises quick service for life because he represents the specific brand. We looked at a bunch of covers in the process - maybe 4 different manufacturers and they all seemed to be good companies with good products, so not sure how you can go wrong (unless you go cheap with someone small???). Anyway, I will actually be slowing the install down because all the pool equipment except heater will be going into a below ground utility closet not yet built. Probably will add a month or so to the build, but everyone knew that was the case during the bids.

Good luck with the pool! It is fun to come home from work everyday and see the progress.

So, got permit finally!!!! Should have inspection tomorrow (3/21) and gunite either Friday or Monday. I am trying to figure out music?

I was thinking rock speakers, but most of my yard will be pool and deck. I am now looking at outdoor mounts, one possibility is in-ground mount, that lifts the speakers up a few feet (maybe stainless that can be mounted like a fence post) - any ideas????

Or mounting directly to my vinyl fence? I am thinking 4 speakers and maybe a sub, all weather proof because they would always be out in the open.

The speakers are the only real question and mounting, I have a Control 4 system in my house, so amp, remote, etc. is already done - will be able to use my iPad or iPhone to control everything.

Any thoughts/direction?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.