new with questions

tkrein

Jan 20, 2013
hi my name is Travis I just bought a house in ND that has a liner pool 20x40 pool the deepest part is 5 feet. he pool needs a new liner and probably other things also. It is winter so I am just trying to figure everything out. first I am wondering if I should go ahead and switch it to a salt water pool is that a better choice or keep it conventional fresh water. would I be easier to maintain not sure what is better. I'll have more questions as I go along and get quotes from the dealers up hear. not to many only 2 to choose from.

Since I'm pretty sure you aren't talking about switching to an ocean water pool, even if you go to a salt water chlorine generator it'll still be considered a fresh water pool. The salt level in a swg pool is about 10% of the level in the ocean.

Switching to a swcg or some other form of chlorinating the pool is a personal choice. No longer than your swim season is I wouldn't think it'd be a very big chore to manually chlorinate the pool. However if you're not available to maintain it every day or every other day a swcg or chlorine injection may be a good idea.

Start now by reading Pool School and learning as much as you can before the season begins. You'll be way ahead of the game if you do.

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

Welcome :)

Dave's right check out pool school and other threads here now, when you don't understand something ask and somebody will clarify it for you. By the time swim season comes around you'll be pretty knowledgeable and can make good decisions based on that knowledge. This is one of the most friendly and helpful forums on the net.

thanks I have started reading pool school. no I don't want an ocean but I was wondering if I should put the swg generator in to help lower cost of chlorine. thinking of using the BBB methods described hear on this forum. just want this pool to be as simple as possible and make my pool a blessing not a pain in the rear. thanks again.

SWG will not likely save any money over the long run. They are really more about convenience so you do not have to be adding the FC yourself daily. Another alternative is a system to automatically dose the pool with liquid chlorine.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I think I'm gonna get it up and running see how the first year goes then decide to route I'm gonna take thanks for all the answers. first will be the liner then the safety cover. more than likely those two at the same time. I do hope they don't find major issues with the plumbing and pump station right noe that's my only concerns. guess I'll wait till spring to find out , until then I'll keep reading pool school and the forum.

Welcome to tfp, tkrein :wave:

I think your idea of starting the next season without the swg is a good one. That will get you up to speed on pool chemistry...then you can decide if installing a swg makes sense for you.

Let us know if you find problems with the plumbing or have questions on your setup...we are here to help :goodjob:

Well here you go through interesting subject matter. So I got bid from one of the pool people in town to get a liner installed they said it will be after the fourth of July before they can even think I've my house. Now the shocker 6580 dollars to install the liner doesn't include reworking the sand if it can't be smoothed out. Although that does includ new faces on every inlet and outlet. They want 10 thousand for a new cover 300 to pressure test the lines not including any repairs that they might find. 6180 for solar panel heat option if I go that route and if the pump won't work with the so lay they want 700 for a new pump. Anyway that over 20 grand to get up and running. So I went to the other pool place they said he would get me in in the spring time and replace the fabric no the after cover I have now. He still working on the out fr the install but should come in under the other guys.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's kind of what I was thinking about the first guy. plus in his shoes ou would think that if I treat my customers right the first time they will come back and buy chemicals from me. that what he should be thinking. now I am going to use the bbb method as described on this forum. as soon as spring flies and I get quotes from this other guy I will start purchasing either the taylor 2006 kit or the tf100 kit. My dad used to work for the second guy and said if it is to expensive we will just order the liner and put it in our selves. My only concern with that is the fiberglass steps that are resecessed into the concrete how do they connect do you glue them or do they have the coping channel like the edge of the pool. I would look but since the snow is setting on the snow cover (which is a loop lock system very nice.) I cannot look at it when I do get the cover off I will take pictures and show you guys what I am working with. we will call it a pool restore as I don't know what is all wrong with the thing. have a good day

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.