Hello. I'm new to this forum. I am learning about pool care, slowly. Our family had our new 7600 above ground vinyl pool installed last summer and have had great luck with it so far. Yesterday we peeked under the cover and discovered the entire bottom is green. Oh no! It's only on the bottom and it wasnt like this a week ago! Nothing on the sides. The water is still very clear. I brushed a strip to see what would happen, it stirred up a cloud but the liner looks clean underneath.
The filter pump and the salt chlorine generator have been running every day for three hours for the winter months.
The pool has had a plastic cover on top of the water, but not over the sides to help keep out debris.
I took a water sample to the pool store to have it tested to make sure I got accurate results.
We have had recent unusual hot weather (80 plus degrees) this past week.
This is our equipment: 7600 gallons, vinyl liner, metal sided pool. Hayward EC40C90 DE filter/ 1.0 HP pump combo and a Hayward Aqualtrol T cell 5 salt generator.
Here are today's water test results:
Free chlorine: 5
Total chlorine: 5
Cyanuric Acid: 39
We didn't think our levels were too bad. The salt cell is clean. The pump is working fine, the DE filter pressure is fine. We "bumped" the system today.
I located some posts here at TFP about green substances that were not algae. So I decided to get some expert advice before throwing chemicals in.
We have a huge Eucalyptus tree right over our pool that constantly drops leaves and seeds into the pool so we are always removing debris. We have a large amount of grass around the pool that gets mowed every week. For these reasons we have kept the cover on, but the cover just sits on top of the water, it's not pulled over the sides and tied like it should be.
We added some salt and put the salt generator on the boost setting.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not algae. Can someone please instruct me on the chlorine loss test to figure out if its algae? If it is, what is something safe for the pool and for us to get rid of it?
Thanks for reading and for your advice! Please excuse any typos.