LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2012
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP! I was trying to help out a friend today but was waaaaay out of my league. Her daughter has been swimming 4 or 5 days a week at our local YMCA. It is drying out her hair terribly. All I know, and this could be false, is that they use a SWCG. I also know the pool is indoors. I obviously have no say in the maintenance of the pool, and have no intentions of dragging my test kit down there. But I thought if I've made some reasonable assumptions, I could offer advice on how to help out the hair situation. The water should feel good to her skin, since it is salty. And i know indoor pools don't burn off CC like my outdoor. All I could think of is that the CC probably high. So, is there a product out there that can help her daughter's hair prob? I doubt a swimming cap is feasible for this 7 year old, given the timeframe for scheduled swim and her skill level. Or would just rinsing it when getting out each time do the trick? Sorry I can't offer more info. This may be a lost cause.

Sent from my iPhone

I think you can help by making sure to soak her hair in the shower before going into the pool and then also making sure to rinse after getting out each time.

Maybe conditioner after getting out?

Others might have some additional thoughts.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

The most common problem with indoor pools is fairly high FC levels with CYA at zero. Those conditions tend to damage hair (and bathing suits eventually). If the FC level is only mildly high the effect could be called "drying out" though it isn't really the same thing.

I would be surprised if the pool is indeed a salt pool. The expense on a system for a commercial pool isn't cheap. I bet it's good old chlorine and thus the reason why the daughter has dry hair. A salt based pool doesn't really have a salty taste to it. At least the ones I've worked around never tasted salty.

Thanks all. I confirmed with a lifeguard there that it is, indeed, a salt pool. This same brave soul is in the water about 3 times a week and recommended not only conditioner, but wearing her hair in a ponytail. No idea why the latter helps, but I have passed all of this advice on. Thanks friends!

Sent from my iPhone

Given my daughter's experience, I think the pony tail just help reduce the amount of knots in the hair.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.