Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie with question about salting a chlorine pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie with question about salting a chlorine pool

My 13 yo son had hands that prune like crazy when he uses the pool, to the point of being painful. He prunes more than everyone else, but we all do. How do I measure the salt level in the pool? If I bring it up to 1500 or 2000ppm will I harm my pool equipment, and will it help with the pruning?

It is an indoor pool, so no direct sunlight. Everything else looks good, except for FC which is a little too high still. Testing from tonight:
    CYA - 30
    TA - 100
    pH - 7.4
    FC and TC - 9 (currently just waiting for it to slowly come down)
    CH - 225-250 range.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie with question about salting a chlorine pool

Pruning happens because you skin expands when it absorbs moisture. I don't believe salt has anything to do with.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

Hello Rick,
    Welcome to the group. You using pucks? Indoor pools don't need CYA, no sun light to break down the chlorine. Yes you can add salt for a better feel. Many do. You're pool won't be at zero though, the chemicals added will add salt over a period of time.
    Some people also add borates and report the water feels silkier.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Long Beach, CA

You can use Aqua Check salt test strips to measure how much salt is already in your pool. You could also take in a water sample to your pool store and that should get you in the ballpark. Your starting salt level should not be zero. You can order them from or your pool store should have some.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process