Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Level Reading Stays at 2500

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Level Reading Stays at 2500

Can't seem to get it to go up after adding salt. Added 40 pounds yesterday and ran for about 16 hours. I cleaned the cell about 6 months ago, so I'll do that again. Just used a test strip and it read 3000, so I'm hesitant to add more salt. Should I add another 40 pounds and see if that helps? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Level Reading Stays at 2500

What is the water temperature and how old is the SWG cell? Cold water will throw off the salt reading, as will a cell that is nearing the end of it's lifetime.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, pool is 49, the remote says "chlorinator off, low temperature". Cell is just over 3 years old...I took it off and it had a little buildup, but not very much. Thank you.

4. Back To Top    #4

With water below 50 the salt level reading on the SWG is essentially meaningless. They aren't capable of measuring the salt level when the water is that cold, so they just show the last value they measured back when the water was warmer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ahh...Thank you so much. I read through the manual twice and didn't see mention of that. I appreciate your help.

6. Back To Top    #6

You might also check the electrical connections between the cell and the control module. A poor connection here will also lead to low salt readings.
    Don Uhle, Discount Salt Pool