Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stainless Steel vs. Fiberglass Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Stainless Steel vs. Fiberglass Filter

Which filter housing material do you pro's prefer? I'm looking at my filter lasting maybe another season or two and I'm wondering if a stainless steel filter tank woul be of any real benefit. I use a salt system for chlorination. The current filter is a Purex Triton FNS-Plus, 60 sq/ft. I have no complaints with how this filter has served me over the years. The one thing I really hate though is that filter dissasembly always makes me itch. The fiberglass of the filter housing is deteriorating and fibers are now exposed and always getting on me when I pull it apart. That also tells me the housing is slowly losing it's integrity. Would I see any longer life out of stainless? This one has been running for 14 years now.
    Mark
    N. Texas
    34,000 Gal. I/G, Pebbletec, Aqua Rite SWCG, FNS 60 D.E. Filter, 1HP Whisperflo, Letro Legend Cleaner/w Booster Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stainless Steel vs. Fiberglass Filter

We still use stainless filters because they come in the 72 sq ft size. I saw one 3 weeks ago that was 13 yrs old and it looked brand new. They typically are not a stock item though and cost a lot more.

You can also paint the filter you have to minimize the fibers getting into your skin.

3. Back To Top    #3

Spray paint the fiberglass filter housing.
    RUST OLEUM Universal Enamels Spray Paint
    or
    http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=373
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

I've thought about the spray paint. It should also help cut down on the UV that is getting to the tank surface. Maybe help it last a little longer.

The other concern I have with the stainless is the fact I'm using a salt system for chlorination now. I know stainless is supposed to be quite resistant to corrosion, but depending on where the stainless is manufactured, I've seen some pretty poor excuses for stainless steel over the years.
    Mark
    N. Texas
    34,000 Gal. I/G, Pebbletec, Aqua Rite SWCG, FNS 60 D.E. Filter, 1HP Whisperflo, Letro Legend Cleaner/w Booster Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've never seen any evidence of corrosion on the stainless PacFab uses.

6. Back To Top    #6

That's good to know. Thank you for the input. I would just hate to go to the extra expense of a stainless filter only to find out years down the road that I would have done just as good with fiberglass.
    Mark
    N. Texas

7. Back To Top    #7

Here's evidence of corrosion for the stainless that PacFab uses:

That's my sand filter, a PacFab SuperFlow PF-50.
    It has pin holes and rust in numerous locations. I use a CompuPool SWG.

Needless to say, I would not personally recommend stainless steel for SWG systems. Note that the filter was probably installed by the previous owner and is likely not connected to the bonding grid, if such a grid exists.
    If you still wish to, or already have since this thread is not very new, keep in mind that you can buy a sacrificial anode much like home water heaters use in order to reduce corrosion on all metal parts.
    As of this writing, the following link points to an example:

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipm...ificial-Anode/
    25K IG Vinyl / Pump: HP Tristar SP3207EE (as opposed to the confusingly different SP3205X7) / Filter:Hayward S360T2 (prev. SuperFlow PF-50) / Heat:6-panel FAFCO Ceiling solar heater