A little puzzled by my CH levels

zazzy

Dec 1, 2012
Hey guys,

I've had one query answered and hoping I can get some more help with another one regarding CH levels.

Now, a month ago when I first got my testing kit, I tested my calcium hardness level and was getting in the vicinity of ~600-800. I tested it twice on the day and probably a week or so later and the CH was reading quite high.

Fast forwarding a month later, I've probably backwashed a bit of water, vacuumed a bit of water too and topped up the pool with normal tap water. Now I was doing a test today on my CH and was quite surprised when I was getting readings of about ~240-260.

I've probably replaced 1000-3000 Litres of water possibly even less but should my readings be affected this much? My TA level seems to be hovering at about ~200ish, what it seems to always be (I have no idea why it hasn't gone down yet even though I've topped up the pool but I'm guessing I'm not performing very accurate tests) but the CH did a sudden dive.

When I took over the pool a month ago, it didn't seem to be very cloudy and even now that has not seemed to change. The only difference I can think of is today I ran the test with the pump running.

Would anyone have any kind of explanation as to why my CH levels would take a sudden dive like that? Someone did mention in my previous welcome to the forum test that it takes a while for CH levels to fall so I'm quite puzzled too.

If any more information is needed please let me know!

Thanks.

- Sorry posted it in wrong area! Was reading other people's thread. Would be appreciated if it could be moved.
No problem. Moved to 'Testing and Balancing Your Water'. Butterfly

What is the CH level of your fill/tap water? The pool water should have a similar CH, unless CH is being added via other sources.

The only difference I can think of is today I ran the test with the pump running.
That could be a big difference. Pump should be running for at least an hour to ensure a good mix before any testing.

The CH test is the most time consuming and requires a lot, lot, lot of swirling :roll:, unless you have the speed stir :-D .

Have you seen the Extended Test Kit Instructions for CH? See the second step under the NOTES section: extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

When you get a moment, please add your location to your profile. It will help folks answer your questions.

We seem to be getting lotsa folks from Australia :wave:

Yeah I followed the instructions with the CH testing and my fill water has a CH of <25.

I also did look at the notes section but I may need to buy some distilled water. Is it considered a fading endpoint if my test goes from pink to purple?

Last week I was getting pink straight to blue but this week I ended up with pink to purple and it's puzzling me. It's driving me crazy.

:D the Aussies are everywhere!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.