Hours to heat spa

Heater said:
That's not right at all don't let him tell you it is!

Here are the specifics from when I fired it up....supposedly 800 gallons. Temp outside was 42, but dropped to 37 while heating spa, no noticeable windchill.

5:50, 47 degrees
5:53, 61
5:54, 62
6:00, 64
6:10, 67
6:12, 67
6:19, 69
6:20, 70
6:24, 71
6:30, 72
6:34, 73
6:54, 77
7:08, 81
7:12, 81
7:15, 82
7:22, 84
7:26, 85
7:35, 87
7:42, 88
7:54, 90
8:00, 92
8:16, 95
8:43, 96

Isn't it interesting how quickly it rose in the beginning? Makes me think it has something to do with the how my heater reacts to the gas flow. My builder had said the heater manufacturer had said we needed a regulator, but then the gas line installer said we needed a bigger line. I was not in that loop....I will find out more tomorrow. Still wondering about a regulator or larger gas meter.

That is very interesting however, it is a cooler water temp so less heat will warm it faster. My guess is getting proper flame propagation. Clearly their is something wrong and a bigger gas line was a start. It's not your problem it's the builders problem. Have you got a gas bill yet? Hahaha

Heater said:
That is very interesting however, it is a cooler water temp so less heat will warm it faster. My guess is getting proper flame propagation. Clearly their is something wrong and a bigger gas line was a start. It's not your problem it's the builders problem. Have you got a gas bill yet? Hahaha

No bill yet, still sweating that. I am going to guess $800.00. If it is cheaper, I will be surprised.

Ok...testing a picture post in a minute.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
image_zpsdbdd52b0.jpg

Testing my pic posting abilities. Lol

I can see the picture that is a good size hot tub looks about 9,300 gallons! Hahaha no it is a good size. Mine is a triangle. Ill try to take pictures today but I also am not sure how to post them.

Pool builder came by, good visit for a change. Going to heat up spa and record times again. He wants me to check if it keeps turning off, which would be gas flow issues. Probably need the regulator. We will see. Talked about the water in my spa going down all the time, and we are trouble shooting some things before we look into having to take apart the pipes to check valves. Also, bringing the plaster guy out to look at an area of the plaster that doesn't look right to me.

Progress was nice!

Ok well still haven't measured my spa to get the exact gallons but here we go with my results which are shocking to me how long it takes. My pool and spa total are 43,000 gallons and I have the largest residential heater you can get. Outside air temp 63
@ 4:47 spa was 57 I checked every 5 minutes
@ 5:40 I hit 104.
Longer than I thought but still shorter than what you're getting.

Wow!!! So super fast!

I heated up again tonight, air temp was 64, and it took 4 hours today! So slow, and so frustrating. Something is still wrong, just don't know what it is!!

Your heater is probably twice the size as mine. What is your BTU? Mine is 199. Guessing yours is 400.

I'd have to look. I know it is a very large Haywood. Mine is gas and you can hear it kick on then continue to hear the flame. Yesterday because we have had two days of rain the flame would ignite and then go out so I had to restart it 3 times for it to stay on. I would make sure yours is staying on for sure. Also mine has a bypass so only so much water will go in the unit. You can hear the water bypass while the pump is running. Maybe yours is getting to much water through it.

Glad you found the root cause. When our pool was built the gas company had to come out and install a 1" line too. Our heater is 300,000 btu and heats our spa (I'm guessing it's 500 gallons or so) in about 40-45 minutes. Personally, with the short Houston winters I wouldn't even consider trying to heat our 28,000 gallon pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.