Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repairing pool liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Repairing pool liner

My 8 year old inground pool is starting to show some repair needs. In the shallow part of the
    pool I noticed a 2-3 feet of liner in the upper wall that is peeling off. The liner is virgin vinyl.
    How can I repair this - what glue to use, etc.? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Repairing pool liner

you might be wasting your time trying to repair it. A new liner would be the best solution.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just for my info, could you please explain why for a small top "peeling off" like this would require
    a whole replacement of the pool liner? I don't quite get it. If my roof has a leak, I repair the leaky
    part, not replace the whole roof.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry for the brief response above.

Liners eventually lose their plasticity and become brittle after time and exposure to the sun and chemicals. 8 years is about an average lifespan. Once they start to tear without a specific incident causing the tear, they are usually due for replacement and patching them won't buy much time.

I am not familiar with the term peeling off and assumed the liner was tearing from or near the bead which is very difficult to fix.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

What I meant by "peeling off": About 2+ feet horizontal at the top of the liner edge is sagging
    about a couple of inches down which indicates it peeled off from the wall and got pushed downwards.
    But I don't see any tear anywhere. I can't recheck now as the pool is covered for winter. I'm
    in Plainfield, Illinois.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Posting a picture would be very helpful but it sounds like your liner came unhooked from the coping....not "peeling" which most folks think of as some form of delamination.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

So it has come out of the track holding it and you can see a bead at the very top of the liner?

If thats the case, you can put it back in the track after you open the pool up. It will be a lot easier to fix in warmer temps and you might need a helper.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you all for the tips. I will definitely look closer when the pool gets open in the spring.