Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repairing pool liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Repairing pool liner

My 8 year old inground pool is starting to show some repair needs. In the shallow part of the
    pool I noticed a 2-3 feet of liner in the upper wall that is peeling off. The liner is virgin vinyl.
    How can I repair this - what glue to use, etc.? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Repairing pool liner

you might be wasting your time trying to repair it. A new liner would be the best solution.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just for my info, could you please explain why for a small top "peeling off" like this would require
    a whole replacement of the pool liner? I don't quite get it. If my roof has a leak, I repair the leaky
    part, not replace the whole roof.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry for the brief response above.

Liners eventually lose their plasticity and become brittle after time and exposure to the sun and chemicals. 8 years is about an average lifespan. Once they start to tear without a specific incident causing the tear, they are usually due for replacement and patching them won't buy much time.

I am not familiar with the term peeling off and assumed the liner was tearing from or near the bead which is very difficult to fix.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

What I meant by "peeling off": About 2+ feet horizontal at the top of the liner edge is sagging
    about a couple of inches down which indicates it peeled off from the wall and got pushed downwards.
    But I don't see any tear anywhere. I can't recheck now as the pool is covered for winter. I'm
    in Plainfield, Illinois.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Posting a picture would be very helpful but it sounds like your liner came unhooked from the coping....not "peeling" which most folks think of as some form of delamination.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

So it has come out of the track holding it and you can see a bead at the very top of the liner?

If thats the case, you can put it back in the track after you open the pool up. It will be a lot easier to fix in warmer temps and you might need a helper.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you all for the tips. I will definitely look closer when the pool gets open in the spring.