OK, we are very very close to starting the refill of our Fiberglass pool after it was reconstructed/repaired (a major leak in October). It is dead of winter in northern California (Bay Area) so won't be swimming any time soon. I'm just trying to get a sanity check on my "plan" once the water starts flowing and would appreciate any words of wisdom:
I tested my tap water. This is what it revealed:
TC = 1.0
PH = 9.0 (or higher - it really was RED beyond the tube's color in the blue test kit. Kind of surprising to me.)
TA = 30
CH = 40
So ......... my plan (31,000 gal. water) :
1. Start the water fill
2. Remove the cartridge filter for the time being (when I initially turn it on, didn't want to filter out any chemical I add)
3. Add 150 oz of 6% bleach to the fill water and swish around with broom
4. Once the water fills to the Skimmer level, turn on the pump
5. Insert a sock filled with about 100 oz Stabilizer in FRONT of skimmer basket (I'll likely need 200 oz or so in the long run)
6. Add 6% bleach, about another jug of it - eventually a total of about 320 oz.
7. Start adding MA (chart calls for about 45 oz of it)
>> delete - Incorrect >> 8. Start adding Baking Soda to bring down the PH
8. Start adding baking soda to RAISE TA" (PC calls for 27 lb).
9. After about 4 hours, put filter Cartridge back in ???? or continue witout it until everything is balanced? I was not planning on runing the pump 24x7 for several days - just during the daylight hours for like 6-8 hours - is that a mistake?
10. Monitor & Adjust from that point fwd.
(PS, pool will NOT be covered during winter.)
Thanks so much ...