Debris under loop loc safety cover

S

May 17, 2008
Have lots of trees and lots of wind in my location. Loop Loc mesh cover is safe, but it does not keep the pool clean becasue leaves, other tree dropping, and various small debris items blow under the edge of the cover. Have made springs as tight as possibel but, since the raised coping results in a slight space between the cover edge and the pool deck, everything small gets blown in and I have a very green, dirty pool at the spring opening. Suggestions?

Welcome to TFP!

That is the way it goes with a mesh safety cover. You might find a way to adjust things that reduces it somewhat, but some stuff will always get it. One option is to peel back a corner of the pool now and then and add some chlorine, which also requires some circulation. It also helps if you keep the pool open when the water is above about 55 degrees. The warmer the water the higher the chances of getting algae.

See this article for advice on cleaning up a green swamp of a pool.

I have similar issues. I'm considering making a pad, similar to the draft stoppers that you put against the bottom of the door to hopefully act as a seal at the bottom of the cover. Not sure if it will work, but it would be nice not to open to a worm mass grave every spring.

Yes, I have been considering similar blocking efforts using small "noodles," garden hose, or even water bags used on solid covers. However, I am afraid debris will then be trapped on the cover, especially with water bags, and I know it will cause a big mess all along the edge. So, I'm hoping a smarter person than I am will come up with a better idea.

This is the first time for me opening the pool (18 x 36 vinyl lined), and I have a loop loc mesh cover as well. I was quite surprised how much Crud had made it under the cover. And yes, the amount of dead worms is unreal and disgusting!

I'm definitely going to be looking into making some form of "stop" to prevent material from getting into the pool from the sides. Something like wacky noodle material around the perimeter seems like it will work well.

rich

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.