Arlington, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I'm getting my pool replastered. I intended on going for plain white plaster. The company doing the work is offering to add 35 - 45% blue quartz to the plaster for strength. This would cost an additional $650. My pool is about 27,000 gallons and has 10+ year old whiter plaster that is in pretty bad condition. I'm in the Dallas Fort Worth area.

Has anyone opted to add quartz to plaster? What are the pros and cons?

Quartz is a good upgrade providing a more durable product, and the price quoted seems reasonable. But quality workmanship is still the most important key for all types of pool finishes.

If the contractor normally takes less than 4.5 hours for plastering a pool, consider asking the contractor how much more for taking an extra hour or two to ensure a good job. And to make the sure the tap water is CSI balanced with sufficient TA and CH before it is allowed to fill the pool, and allow the plaster to harden for at least six hours before filling with water. I suggest asking him to reduce the amount of calcium chloride added to the plaster mix, not use or add water while troweling, and to avoid overly late and hard troweling.

See this post for a complete set of guidelines: ten-guidelines-for-quality-pool-plaster-t42957.html

I read the post in your link and asked two contractors several questions. Their answers were all in line with your post, except both guys said they always refill the pool as soon as troweling is complete. They both said that plaster cures better under water.

They are only half right. Yes, plaster cures very well under water, and should be. But only after the surface has properly hardened (hydrated). If plaster is placed under water too soon, the water can dissolve some of the cement material from the surface. It has to harden for a while. That is why most pools develop some plaster dust once the pool is filled. It seems that many plasterers just don't understand that simple fact. There is also a study by the American Concrete Institute that addresses this very issue.

See this post of a study I did on pool plaster: aggressive-water-versus-improper-pool-plastering-t51900.html

There is no legitimate reason the pool can't wait at least six hours before starting the water, especially since it will take many more hours than that to fill up. And the bottom of the pool is the last part of the pool that is finished, yet gets the water first, unlike the walls that is finished first and usually isn't submerged in water for 24 to 36 hours. If the contractor doesn't believe this, just ask them to rub water right after final troweling on a small spot at the bottom area of the pool and notice the slimy cream coming off. Yet, the walls after six hours of hardening won't have the same effect. Push for this. It will be beneficial.

RoberTX -- what did you end up going with? Doing a replaster job in DFW as well and have mixed thoughts on plain plaster or having the quartz thrown in. I have a friend whose quartz - over time - became very rough on the feet as the plaster wore down. Don't know if that was just her bad experience or the norm? This is a 20 yr old pool that I only plan to refinish once for my 10 year stay in this home -- want something that will look good, feel good and wear well.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.