Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intellichlor IC40 Cold Water Status

1. Back To Top    #1

Intellichlor IC40 Cold Water Status

I've read in numerous places that the IC40 will effectively "shut itself off" when it detects cold water, therefore no longer generating chlorine. I'm good with that. My "Cold Water" light is indeed red and we are not generating chlorine...

My question - if I run the hot tub, thus heating the water, wouldn't you expect the IC40 to begin generating chlorine? When I turn on the hot tub, nothing changes. Cold Water light remains red.

Diagnostics->Intellichlor shows no errors.

Thanks in advance

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Intellichlor IC40 Cold Water Status

Welcome to TFP!

I I remember correctly, it averages the water temperature across several measurements across a fairly long period of time (an hour or two). If you left the hot tub running long enough, the light would go out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Manvel, TX

Re: Intellichlor IC40 Cold Water Status

You also want to check want your chlorinator is set to run at while in SPA mode. My equipment guy set my IC40 to run at 2% when in spa mode.

I've got the full Easytouch automation on my system, so it may be different if you've just got the panel for the chlorinator.
    Ed Klein
    My Backyard Setup with Pictures
    Pictures of my Build Process
    27,000 gallons total
    IG plaster pool with waterfall/slide and 10' OD hot tub
    SWCG - Pentair IC-40 with Easytouch 8 automation
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS filter pump with 150gpm cartridge filter
    Built Summer 2012 - Houston, Texas area