Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Natural Gas Grill - what do I need to know?

1. Back To Top    #1

Natural Gas Grill - what do I need to know?

Hello everyone - the natural gas grill that came with our house is old and rusted - it's shot. So, I am looking to get a new one, but I don't know where to start. This would be for the long term since we plan on living in the house for at least the next 15-20 years, so I'm not opposed to paying up for quality.

About the only thing I know is I would like it to have a cabinet around it for storage and I am also fairly certain that I would like a stove top burner on it.

I really haven't started looking so thought I'd check in here first for any tips, brands, things to avoid or look for etc before I start my search.

Thanks!
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Natural Gas Grill - what do I need to know?

I've been a Weber guy most of my adult life (30 years). I'm leaving Chicago this weekend for Arizona and I just handed off my 12 year old Weber Summit to my oldest son. The Weber kettle went to his two brothers but I'm keeping the Weber Smoker. Ill be in the market for a new grill as soon as we arrive. I'm planning an outdoor kitchen so I'm looking for a drop in model. I think it comes down to your budget and how often you'll use it. The largest new Summit is running around $2500 I think. I'm also looking at the 48" or 52" DCS at around $4000. I'd like a Big Green Egg or other kamoda style as well but that might have to wait. I guess what I'm saying is for anything under $2500 I'd go Weber. After that it's all about budget and features. Lynx and Wolf make great grills but they are expensive. Lastly, I've heard negative comments about Viking. Good luck!
    30' x 17' 14,000 Gallon Play Pool, Aqua Splash Beadcrete Interior, Hayward C7030 Filter, Hayward SP3400VSP Variable Speed Pump, Hayward Turbo-Cell 15 Salt Cell, Baja Shelf w/Periscopic Bubbler, 3 Scupper Water Feature, Paramount In-Floor Cleaning, Aqua Logic PS8 w/Aqua Pod Wireless Controller, TF-100 Test Kit, DM2000 Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker!!

3. Back To Top    #3

Weber is the way to go. I have the Weber stainless NG Genesis with the side burner. It is without a doubt the best gas grill I have ever owned. My last SS grill caught fire and literally had metal that was burning. The Weber is a grill that will last at least ten to fifteen years. My only advice is if you buy the SS model, get the cast iron grates. Grilling nirvana! With that said, I still have a cast iron and steel charcoal grill that produces better results. Gas for convenience and charcoal for those lazy afternoons with a bottle of Vino and killer New York Strips!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4

Points well taken on the Weber. I thought about cheaping out, but my current grill is a weber that has gone through 8 Chicago winters and still fires up on the first try each year. Ideally I would like one with a brick or stone surround. Internet searches for this turn up a ton of you tube videos, but all DIY jobs, and I am not sure that is something I want or can take on. Has anyone else here done anything like that?

Otherwise I'll probably go with the Genesis.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

5. Back To Top    #5

Bull Outdoor makes a great line of stainless grills. That's what I have in my outdoor kitchen.

LINK: http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-ou...ld-t53750.html
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you decide to go with a drop-in (under $2000). I recommend the Cal-Flame http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Cal...m_2677478.html I have the 5 burner; about 5 years now. It's heavy guage SS construction with huge cast-brass burners. With natural gas it quickly hits 675F. I have also heard good things about Bull products. For a stand-alone, I'd stick with a Weber product.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater