Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Use to have swg now going to chlorine ...any ideas?

1. Back To Top    #1

Use to have swg now going to chlorine ...any ideas?

So our old pool was swg and I loved the feel of the water and how well it reacted to swimsuits, skin, hair, etc.. Our new pool will be chlorine and I can already see my blondies (kids) turning green and my skin being dry and itchy. Please tell me this won't be the case. I thought I heard someone say there is something that can be added to chlorine pools to make the water silkier and more gentle feeling. Any one know? After having a swg for past 5 yrs the thought of chlorine is intimidating and scary.... Help. Thanks.
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Use to have swg now going to chlorine ...any ideas?

First, a SWG pool IS a chlorine pool. The cell just generated the chlorine from the salt in the water to save you the hassle of adding the chlorine yourself everyday. I would recommend you NOT start useing trichlor pucks or any solid form of chlorine ... only use liquid chlorine (bleach).

hair turning green is due to copper ... don't ever use algaecide with copper in it (or any of the mineral systems) ... and you will not have this problem.

Many people add salt to their pool without a SWG just to get the same feel ... me included. Keep around 2000+ppm of salt in the water and you will have the same effect.

The other option is borates to give a more silky feel ... but this in completely optional and required you to get yout pool balanced (TA specifically) prior to adding it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

As long as you follow Pool School you should have no problems. It is out of balance Ph that causes irritated skin and eyes, or chloramines that are too high, not chlorine itself. In fact your salt water pool was a chlorine pool. Also green hair is usually the result of copper in the water, either from algaecides or as a result of corrosive water coming into contact with metal elements. Keep an eye on your water and you should have no problems....
    (adding to what jblizzle already sad)
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Chlorine doesn't turn hair green, it's copper, usually from algecides.http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ing_pool_myths Since you liked the feel of the salt water, just add salt as if you had the swcg, it won't hurt except for some types of stonework around pools. If that's a problem you could add Borates, take a look at pool school and suggested pool chemicals http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...pool_chemicals

Looks like some others have beat me to it.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

5. Back To Top    #5

Why no swg on the new pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you thank you! Helpful info. And will read up on liquid bleach. Well unlike 6 years ago when we were getting quotes for our first pool and swg were all the rage ...this time all the co. we spoke with discouraged swg. About a year ago when I had a leak in our spa and spoke to several pool co. Several told me they no longer do swg at all. The co. we chose this time said they do not recommend swg but they will do them HOWEVER they would not warranty any stone work. We have a lot of stone work. So, chlorine it is.
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, why no SWCG? Maybe the liquidator might be another option.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Seems like TX has very soft stone work that gets damaged by the salt ... many other places in the country to do have that problem.

Liquidator or stenner pump might be a good option to help maintain the chlorine level if you insist on getting stone work.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

i bet if the public was polled 95% of people would say chlorine causes green hair and 95% also don't realize saltwater pools contain just as much chlorine as "chlorine" pools do.