Thin Pavers over Kool-Deck?

Jan 14, 2013
SW Florida
Got a question for you ...

I have Kool-Deck installed around my in-ground pool and on the ajoining covered patio in my house in southern Florida. My house is 9 years old and I really don't like the looks of the Kool-Deck.

I am thinking that I might consider having those thin pavers installed over the existing Kool-Deck. The total area of the Kool-Deck is approx 845 sq ft. from what I have been able to figure.

I have seen regular pavers, and I believe they are about 3" thick while thin pavers are only about 1" thick, so I think the thin pavers would be perfect since they won't add alot of height to the existing cement deck.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience with thin pavers laid over a Kool-Deck or cement slab ... Also, what do you think the total cost might be for a job like mine (845 sq ft)?

Thank's,
Ron

Deck.jpg

Are you intending to use a mortar/thinset to adhere the thin pavers to the deck? If so my concern would be using that on the kool deck and that could separate from the concrete slab at some point. OF course if you were doing this you may be able to just use 1/4" tile ... likely get pretty slick though.

I have not heard of just setting pavers on a concrete slab.

Figure a few dollars per square foot for the pavers, but you'll just have to look around in your area and see what's available and what you like. jbliz is right about the delamination; it'd be best to remove the kool deck, but if it's in good shape it would probably be OK. You would need to replace the coping.

There are several companies that make pavers and coping designed for sand based application over existing concrete patios. Tremron, CDthins, and Artistic all have a system that allows you to mortar coping over an existing cantilever deck or traditional liner pool aluminum coping. Then you put down about 1/4 inch of sand and set 1 inch pavers. You mortar the back edge in the same fashion you mortar the coping. Its a simple process and good for the DIYer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.