Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thin Pavers over Kool-Deck?

1. Back To Top    #1

Thin Pavers over Kool-Deck?

Got a question for you ...

I have Kool-Deck installed around my in-ground pool and on the ajoining covered patio in my house in southern Florida. My house is 9 years old and I really don't like the looks of the Kool-Deck.

I am thinking that I might consider having those thin pavers installed over the existing Kool-Deck. The total area of the Kool-Deck is approx 845 sq ft. from what I have been able to figure.

I have seen regular pavers, and I believe they are about 3" thick while thin pavers are only about 1" thick, so I think the thin pavers would be perfect since they won't add alot of height to the existing cement deck.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience with thin pavers laid over a Kool-Deck or cement slab ... Also, what do you think the total cost might be for a job like mine (845 sq ft)?

Thank's,
    Ron

9,000 gal. in-ground concrete pool
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump and motor (1 HP)
    Pentair CC100 cartridge filter (100 sq ft)
    Zodiac MX8 suction pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thin Pavers over Kool-Deck?

Would like to have pavers something like this ....

9,000 gal. in-ground concrete pool
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump and motor (1 HP)
    Pentair CC100 cartridge filter (100 sq ft)
    Zodiac MX8 suction pool cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you intending to use a mortar/thinset to adhere the thin pavers to the deck? If so my concern would be using that on the kool deck and that could separate from the concrete slab at some point. OF course if you were doing this you may be able to just use 1/4" tile ... likely get pretty slick though.

I have not heard of just setting pavers on a concrete slab.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Figure a few dollars per square foot for the pavers, but you'll just have to look around in your area and see what's available and what you like. jbliz is right about the delamination; it'd be best to remove the kool deck, but if it's in good shape it would probably be OK. You would need to replace the coping.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

There are several companies that make pavers and coping designed for sand based application over existing concrete patios. Tremron, CDthins, and Artistic all have a system that allows you to mortar coping over an existing cantilever deck or traditional liner pool aluminum coping. Then you put down about 1/4 inch of sand and set 1 inch pavers. You mortar the back edge in the same fashion you mortar the coping. Its a simple process and good for the DIYer.