A question regarding the skimmer sock

zazzy

Dec 1, 2012
Hi guys,

I know this may seem like a fairly stupid question, but when reading the instructions on adding the CYA tablets, I noticed that I need to put the tablet into a sock and put it into the skimmer basket.

Do I need to buy one from the shops? Or can I literally use any sock? And why is it so important to use the sock??

Sorry if it's a little strange!

Thanks!

You can use old panty hose. The importance of using the sock is to make sure the CYA dissolves slowly instead of getting sucked into the pump and possibly clogging it or the filter.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think the g/f will have some old pantyhose I can steal from her.

Is the hanging it in front of the pool return to help dissolve it into the water a bit quicker and does the 24 pump on rule still apply if this is the case?

I'm also assuming keeping the pump on is to help dissolve everything and spread the CYA around. Would that be correct to say or can I just let the CYA dissolve over a long period of time and just have my chlorinator run at regular intervals?

Cheers guys!

It is a good idea to run the pump for 24 hours after starting to add CYA, which does indeed help the CYA dissolve. It tends to take hours, even with the pump running. You don't want undissolved CYA sitting in one place with the pump off, least it cause some damage.

zazzy said:
when reading the instructions on adding the CYA tablets, I noticed that I need to put the tablet into a sock and put it into the skimmer basket.
Just to be clear, cyanuric acid does not come in tablet form. If you have tablets, then they are probably trichlor tabs. If you have granular cyanuric acid, then that is the correct thing.

Thanks guys. Went to the hardware store and found some cya in powder form for half the price of the pool shop! I was pretty stoked. Dissolved as much of it as I could in water and then put it into the pool so I'm hoping nothing gets clogged up and it's all dissolved now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.