Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rust spots? (If that is what they are??)

1. Back To Top    #1

Rust spots? (If that is what they are??)

I've only been a pool owner for under a year... and with the help of TFP, I've learned A LOT. My water is finally where I want it to be... and I have a firm understanding of how different variables effect each other.

Now I've got a new problem...

Rust spots. I've read that they can come from a leaf left in the pool... or from other sources.

The part that concerns me is that they seem to be forming more along the bottom edge and not the very bottom (where you might find an occasional leaf... which I often get rid of quickly).

Could this be something serious like some metal rebar that is "leeching" or something else? I tried scrubbing at one of them with no success... albeit, I really didn't scrub very well as they tend to be in the deep part of the pool. Some are the size of a penny some are smaller some are the size of a quarter.

Any thoughts? What causes them, what have you done to get rid of them... how do you know if it's serious issue or a cosmetic one?

Thanks!
    Pete
    16000 Gal. Kidney / Gunite / SE Florida / Taylor K2006 / Stenner
    Jandy CS100 / Sta-Rite U3 Skimmer / Pentair Great White / Single Floor Drain / Single Return / Hayward SP2300VSP
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm still learning and I know nothing!.. I'm loving the Stenner!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rust spots? (If that is what they are??)

First thing you need to do is determine if they're metals or organic. Take some vitamin C tablets and crush them up and put them in a sock and hold it on the spots for a little while. If that lightens it or it disappears completely, it's metal staining. If that doesn't work take a chlorine tablet and hold it on the spots for a little while. It that lightens it it's organic. If it's organic you can reise the FC to the high end of recommended and hold it there and they will lighten and maybe go away completely.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I've had the FC to high end a few times and it didn't change anything... I'll give the Vitamin C tablets a go on the smaller (which happen to be the newer) ones and I'll report back here!

Thanks!
    Pete
    Jandy CS100 / Sta-Rite U3 Skimmer / Pentair Great White / Single Floor Drain / Single Return / Hayward SP2300VSP

4. Back To Top    #4

I have not tried to the Vitamin C tablets yet (too cold to get in and place them exactly where I want them)... I did see an "EraseIt" type stone goes on the end of my pool pole.

Anyone ever use it?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by FixItPete
    I have not tried to the Vitamin C tablets yet (too cold to get in and place them exactly where I want them)... I did see an "EraseIt" type stone goes on the end of my pool pole.

Anyone ever use it?
    I have not used the stone.

But I did get some rust spots in the deep end when the fence was replaced. The tiniest nail head will leave a large rust spot. I stuck a smooth rock in a knee-high stocking with some mashed up tablets and tied it all off with a long string. Then I lowered it onto the spot. The pool brush helps push it into position if it slides.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I like the idea with the stocking & rocks! Thanks!! I'm going to try it tonight.

Pete

7. Back To Top    #7

I have used an "EraseIt" type stone goes on the end of a pool pole with great success.
    closed

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Rock! Now at least I have a Plan A & a Plan B.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have seen what you describe occur after a lawn was fertilized with iron and they got some in the pool. If it's steel or tie wires from the pool structure, you can usually brush most of it away and it will reoccur in a couple of days.

10. Back To Top    #10

We don't fertilize... so that is likely not it. However, anything is possible. I sure hope it isn't steel or ties from structure. That would really stink... I have to assume there isn't a "fix" for that, huh?

11. Back To Top    #11

If you could post some pictures, that would help diagnose the problem. The color and pattern of the stains often tell the story.

12. Back To Top    #12

I will! Might be dark later -- so it'll have to be in the morning... much appreciated!