Pump Speed

Gary R

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Hi to all;

I have a Hayward 1HP super pump installed in my system. The pump really seems to big for my needs. Is there any way to rewire the pump to run at a lower speed perhaps with a switch.

Many thanks,

Gary R

A 1HP Super pump is really not a big pump (it is not a Super II right, which is larger). Anyway, what makes you think it is to big? You could likely go smaller if you have not high flow rate needs.

But, you can not change the speed of the motor if it is not a 2-speed motor. Cheapest alternative would be to keep the pump and replace the motor with a 2-speed version and then you could use a switch to select high / low speed.

BTW: Please keep your signature under 5 lines long ... thanks :goodjob:

Hi Jason;

Many thanks for the reply!!

The pump seems large because it pushes us around the at a fairly good clip when I have the Pool Skim attached which is most of the time. Filter is at 20 psi unless I use the eyeball which bring it down to about 15 psi. Maybe it's just a resistance issue??

Thank you,

Gary R

Good circulation is good to have. Some pumps on low speed may not do a good job on skimming the surface.

How long are you running the pump? Might be able to save $ on electricty by running less ... if that is the concern. But if the concern is just the movement of the water while swimming ... then just turn the pump off ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.