Possible hard freeze

kyle11

May 17, 2012
I am in North Alabama and decided not to close my pool this year. So far so good. We have had freezing temps but nothing that has not recovered the following day. Next week we are forecasted to be below or at freezing for about 36 hours ranging from 20-32 degrees. I have the aqua plus and is set up to run below 35 but will that be good enough to keep anything from freezing? I have it set to run at 1750 rpm, do I need to raise the rpms to ensure my pipes don't freeze? Any advice would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as it doesn't get a lot colder than 20ºF for an extended period you'll be fine.

I suggest you have a backup plan in case the power goes out. Like maybe a generator, or be ready to drain and/or put antifreeze in the lines if it does happen.

Thanks Bama. When you say drain would I need to do anything other than pull the plugs on the pump and filter? What would be the best way to get antifreeze in there at that point with no power? Hopefully it doesn't come to that. As of now no snow or sleet is forecasted so power shouldn't go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By draining, you need to drain anything that has water in it above the frost line. Pump, filter and any piping you can drain. I'd pour the antifreeze into any piping leading to or from the pool. A couple of gallons poured in the plumbing should be enough. Hopefully the power won't go out and you won't have to worry about it at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.