Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Got a new IntelliFlo, installer setup to turn over 3 times?

1. Back To Top    #1

Got a new IntelliFlo, installer setup to turn over 3 times?

I had a really old single speed filter pump, and the installer set it up the new IntelliFlo I bought to turn over 3 times per day, something like 800 watts at 8 hours a day. My pool is around 25,000 gallons.

Doesn't that sound excessive, especially in the winter? I'm new to all this, but I though you generally try to shoot for turning over once per day?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Got a new IntelliFlo, installer setup to turn over 3 tim

Yes, that is certainly excessive, dramatically so in the winter. If your water is cold, say below 45, half a turnover per day is more than enough. Even in the summer one turnover a day is plenty and most people do well with less than that.

The IntelliFlo is most efficient when running at about 1,000 RPM. So you might want to set things up so the speed is somewhere around there, even if it means a slightly longer run time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Yes, that is certainly excessive, dramatically so in the winter. If you water is cold, say below 45, half a turnover per day is more than enough. Even in the summer one turnover a day is plenty and most people do well with less than that.

The IntelliFlo is most efficient when running at about 1,000 RPM. So you might want to set things up so the speed is somewhere around there, even if it means a slightly longer run time.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm really frustrated with the installer, instead of walking me through it to maximize my cost savings, he basically just put it on a generic setting.

I have a sand filter, and with a 25,000 gallon pool, at 1000rpm, any idea about how long I should set it for per day?

Is there a good online resource about programming the Intelliflo. i definitely need to go through the owners manual, but was looking for a sort of "quick and dirty" guide as I'm not using a lot of the more advanced features.

Thanks again for all the help

4. Back To Top    #4

On fairly decent low head loss plumbing, the Intelliflo should deliver around 25 GPM at 1000 RPM or about a 17 hour turnover.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Going by Pentair's site you would be looking at 14.6 hours for one turnover of your pool at 1000 RPM.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    Going by Pentair's site you would be looking at 14.6 hours for one turnover of your pool at 1000 RPM.
    Is a 1000 rpm the "sweet spot" for the Intelliflo? Any reason why there would be an issue going that slow?

I also have a Polaris 280 with a separate pressure pump, is that a factor at all? I make sure to run it while the pool filter pump is also working, usually about 2 hours per day.

7. Back To Top    #7

My own analysis of CEC test data shows that the maximum energy factor as measured by Gallons/Watt-Hr is between 800-1200 RPM depending on the plumbing system. So I usually tell people that 1000 RPM is the most efficient setting because it probably doesn't matter that much.

BTW, my flow rate estimate comes from the measured data as well but that too depends on the plumbing system. Generally, I don't trust much that comes from Pentair's site regarding the Intelliflo since they tend to over inflate the energy savings of the pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

The 280 won't be affected by the speed of the IntelliFlo. 1000 RPM is fairly unanimously agreed on to be the sweet spot for an IntelliFlo.