Clogged Lines?

jlhaz

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2007
I was thinking back to last year and the returns that were working in my pool. It seems now that 2 of them aren't pushing out water anymore. Could they be clogged?

Would a Drain King or something similar help me to check that? If so would I just plug it into the return thats not working and let it push out any debris that may be caught in there?

Thanks!

The returns could be clogged, but that is quite unusual. First, check all the valves and make sure those returns aren't turned off. If you have a valve for each return, try turning down the other returns and see if that restores flow to the ones that don't seem to be working.

Jason,

I have 2 valves. One controls the aerator and the other, when I opened it up activated the other 4 returns I thought were broken. When I had my filter repaired, the pool repairman must have turned this valve off. I thought I only had 6 returns but I now discovered a new one under the (I think it's called a loveseat?) :)

Concequently, the filter pressure lowered from 20 to around 15. Would this be because the pressure is being diluted through the opened returns?

Also, will the increase in working returns help keep the pool cleaner?

Thanks!

Yes and yes. The water has more paths to take so the flow rate in any one pipe is lower, which means more total flow and less total pressure. Having returns in more places improves circulation, though the difference is not usually all that dramatic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.