Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Control Panel tripping 30 amp breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Control Panel tripping 30 amp breaker

I have an EZ touch control panel that seems to have some sort of short in that as soon as the primary motor circuit is closed it immediately trips the double pole GFCI 30 amp breaker. I pulled the motor and had it tested and its fine. 3 years old. I replaced the $100 Siemens breaker and still same problem. Anyone else have any experience with this control panel causing the breaker to trip. I completely disconnected the motor to see if it was a wiring issue however the breaker trips any time I engaged the primary pump circuit.
    25,000 gal. custom Pebble Sheen in ground, Intelliflo Pentair EZ Touch 8 with Variable speed 3hp, media filters, Maytronics Dolphin Premier Robotic, 8' aggressive slope

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Control Panel tripping 30 amp breaker

It could be the pump relay that's under the high voltage part of the ET panel, your pump and breaker attach to the relay. This is what allows the ET computer to manage your system accessories. Possibly a wire is loose or the relay is bad. The panel I bought came with 5 relays that I can configure for different accessories.
    If you have 2 pump relays you could switch them out.
    It could also be a bad ground at the main panel feeding the ET subpanel or possibly a broken/a braided wire going from the breaker to the pump or last thing I can thing of is too much voltage draw from pump (wrong internal wiring)
    If you are not knowledgeable with electricity please STAY OUT OF THE HIGH VOLTAGE PANEL CALL AN ELECTRICIAN. (Safety First)
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm qualified to be in the panel and do my own electrical work. I'll check this and get back to you. Thanks!
    25,000 gal. custom Pebble Sheen in ground, Intelliflo Pentair EZ Touch 8 with Variable speed 3hp, media filters, Maytronics Dolphin Premier Robotic, 8' aggressive slope

4. Back To Top    #4

Since it trips even with the pump disconnected, I'd suspect a short in the wiring after the control relay. It could be the relay itself but that's rare.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks to all. I have 3 relays and I'll swap them around today to see if I can resolve this problem.

6. Back To Top    #6

Actaully had 4 relays -the wiring looks great and the ground seems fine. This pool has run well for three years altho I have replaced 2 booster pumps under warranty. It's alittle cold/wet for Austin Texas today so I have not made the complete swap but have the breaker out and the panel disassembled. Relay 3 is unused AUX. as there is no natural gas on my street so we did not install a spa. I could just swap the position terminations on the mother board and cut longer wire as to avoid moving the relay but that would require some wiring position mod.s so I'm just going to swap them out. If that does not remedy I'm going to assume something may be wrong with the board altho it seems normal- the lights work, etc. under manual operation. This problem did manifest itself after a significant rain which we have not had in years.

7. Back To Top    #7

There is a chance that the wires between the panel and the motor are actually causing the short. If there was a nick in one for the hot wires, it could be shorting to ground.

Now mentioning a lot of rain, there is a chance that water got into the conduit and is allowing the short to happen, when while dry the hot did not actually touch the ground ... the water might be completing the circuit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

It's certainly something to consider and I will blow it with a compressor and see if anything comes out. That rain was about a week ago. It would'nt hurt to pull new wire should the relay swap not work. My panel location is under an eve on the side of the house under trees so it does not see much moisture. I'll report back for more advice from all of you helpful folks. Again thanks from the Live Music Capital of the World...

9. Back To Top    #9

On 2nd thought I think I'll disconnect pump wiring from relay and check it that way. If it does not trip then I'll replace the wiring.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Jason and Dave that was it. I'll pull new wire when it warms up a bit. Great Forum, saved me some cash for sure.

Kyle

11. Back To Top    #11

Good deal
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Pulled new wires to no avail. It was my crappy Ozonator that we don't even use anymore after constantly replacing UV bulbs. I pulled it off the relay and capped it off. Wow at least I have new motor seals! Jeez!

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

On a side note,
    Is it code in Texas to have a GFCI breaker feeding the pool panel.
    Asking for nuisance trips.

14. Back To Top    #14

Yup