Confusion on which model of Hayward suction cleaner to buy

Jan 14, 2013
SW Florida
Hello everyone ... This is my first post.

I live in southern Florida and have an in-ground cement/gunite pool. The house and pool are both 9 years old, as well as the Hayward pool cleaner (I believe it is an older Navigator model).

Well, the Hayward now just goes in circles and the hose also gets twisted togather. I took it into a pool supply company here and they said it needs alot of new internal parts. Everything is basically worn out (other than the feet which are fairly new).

Instead of spending a bunch of money on my 9 year old Hayward Navigator, I think it's best just to replace it with new Hayward pool cleaner.

My question is ... which model to buy? On the internet I see the "Hayward Navigator Pro" and the "Hayward Pool Vac XL". Both of these units cost about the same ($365) and both have the same 2 year warranty.

Is either one of these models better than the other? ... I don't know which one to order.

Thank's for any help
Ron

Navigator Pro
NavigatorPro3-4R.jpg

Pool Vac XL
PoolVacXL_3-4R.jpg

Re: Confusion on which model of Hayward suction cleaner to b

I'll let you in on a little secret. The Pool Vac XL and the Navigator pro are the exact same guts, just a different shell. It doesn't matter which one you get. I'm not personally a big fan of Hayward cleaners but if you have been happy with the one you previously had it can't hurt to stick with the same thing!

Christian ...

Thank's for the reply. You know, I just don't know what to buy. I have been sitting here in front of this computer and reading review after review on all these various pool suction cleaners, and the majority of them are negative ... and that's just not only negative reviews about the Hayward brand, but other brands as well.

I wonder why Hayward would make 2 separate cleaners with the same internal parts and basically the same price (only slight different external appearance)?

I wonder if that Hayward "Pool Vac Classic" is any better that the other two? ... Again, same price, but obviously smaller looking than the other two (more of a "square" design)

Anyway, I am at a loss here. Don't know what to buy. I just don't want to throw any more money into my old Hayward.

Ron,

EDIT

BTW .... Christian ... I spent some time on your website (Pool Supply World) and found the question and answers section very helpful.

I noticed that your company don't even sell the Hayward "Pool Vac Classic". I am thinking that it might be an older model?

If you have any suggestions as to something better than the Hayward, I am all ears. However, I would like something similar (Vac style) that just pushes into the vacumm hose just like the Hayward I need to replace.

Really don't want to spend any more money than the price of those Hayward units.

BTW ... my pool is not really all that big (about 11,000 galons)

Ron,

As you can see from my signature I work for a pool supply company. My two cents would be to take a look at the Baracuda MX8. It's a great cleaner, you just have to make sure to set it up properly. Most of the negative reviews you see about it breaking are due to the fact that people don't bother to use the flowkeeper valve. The MX8 is designed to be able to run on a variable speed pump at low RPM. So when people hook it up to a 2 HP pump without using the flowkeeper valve it's too much power for the cleaner and it can damage itself. I can tell you that out of 3 people who work in my office that have pools, 2 have an MX8 and one has a Great White, which is also a good cleaner for smaller pools. Again this is just my personal opinion but it's based on working for a company that sells thousands of cleaners. Also if it's in the budget there are some really amazing robotic cleaners out there. If you have any questions I'd be happy to chat with you. Feel free to send me a PM!

Have a look at ThePoolCleaner. It uses lower flow rates (less head loss) than most cleaners and has very good reviews from those who have one on the forum, including myself.

Well, I decided I didn't want the maint. issues associated with the Hayward cleaners, so I decided on a Zodiac 'Baracuda MX8".

Thank's everyone for the replies.

Ron,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.