Waxahachie, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Here are some pics of a neighbor's pool. It is a gunite, 15000 gal play pool with some major discoloration. It is a chlorine pool where the owner says he just shocks and adds tablets when the pool store tells him that it needs it. It is between 15 and 18 years old. The brown is mostly on the walls and steps - not so much on the bottom.

Any ideas of where to start? It looks as if the gunite has worn down in places, the discoloration (brown areas) are smooth, the blue areas are sandy (like gunite) as far as I can feel. I took a sample and this is what I found:

PH 8.2
FC 11
CC .5
TC 11.5
TA 100
CH 225
CYA - I'LL GET THIS AFTERNOON - IT WAS DARK AND RAINING (NO SUN)

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• photo-36.JPG
    photo-36.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 290
  • photo-35.JPG
    photo-35.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 289
  • photo-34.JPG
    photo-34.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 288
That looks like metal stains to me, though it is always difficult to tell from a photo :)

I suggest trying a quick vitamin C test. Hold a regular vitamin C tablet against one of the stained areas for 30 seconds to a minute and see if anything happens. If the stain goes away in that spot it is almost certainly an iron stain and can be removed with an AA treatment.

I think that there are also copper stains. If the pool has a gas heater, then that could be the source of copper and/or iron, especially if the tabs are added before the heater. Copper algaecide, or an ionizer are two other possible sources for copper.

The 8.2 pH seems unusual for a tab pool, and I would suspect an error in testing, or that someone had recently added pH up.

I would suspect that the pH has been allowed to go quite low in the past.

I am so sorry that I'm just now getting back to you with an update..

The Vit C test didn't discolor the brown.. The water was so cold I couldn't keep my arm in there much past 30 seconds. When I tried tongs.. well, lets just say, it wasn't a good test. I'll try again tomorrow.

I had added MA the other day to get the PH down some.. it worked

The Owner added "Pool Store Shock" yesterday, I'm not sure how much.
I retested the water -
PH 7.5
TC 15.5
TA 90
CH 300
CYA 50

Water looks clear.. And its around 39 degrees

The pool/spa does have a gas heater if that helps solve the mystery. The brown areas are real smooth, the blue is sandy feeling (like normal gunite.)
Thank you for trying to solve this.

haha! Thanks! I'll do that tomorrow. Just pour the whole bottle (crushed) of Vit C in a sock?

(I'm a Realtor, and my Seller came out and took my picture laying on the deck with my hand in the frigid water. ..... what we don't do! haha! )

Thanks Jason.. I'll thin socks or pantyhose, weighted down. The stain is also on the steps, so I bet I can get it to stay put.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think that the turquoise is probably copper. The gray might also be copper. Try scraping a small section with a smooth, clean, sharp knife to see if the plaster is white underneath the top layer. Don't dig in too deep, just a very thin scrape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.