Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it ok to use expired baking soda in the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it ok to use expired baking soda in the pool?

Is it ok to use expired baking soda in the pool? I wanted to stock up on some while it is on sale.
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it ok to use expired baking soda in the pool?

Sure, just make sure it stays dry. Baking soda will absorb moisture slowly over time and eventually that can cause storage problems, but in most cases that will take years and years, and in any case it is still good to use in the pool even if that happens it just gets "mushy" and annoying to deal with and in some cases the packaging can rot but that all takes a very long time to happen.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is it ok to use expired baking soda in the pool?

thank you Jason! I was hoping the expiration date would mainly be for cooking. I will store it where there is no moisture.
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!