Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light colored pavers are they hard to keep clean

1. Back To Top    #1

Light colored pavers are they hard to keep clean

We are considering artistic pavers for the pool deck. We like the very light colors but I'm a little concerned about how much work they might be in keeping them clean, verses a darker paver? I want a cooler surface but I don't want to be out there on a weekly bases pressure washing them. Anyone have light pavers and can give me an idea about how hard they are to keep clean? Thanks so much, love this site.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light colored pavers are they hard to keep clean

This is what we have, pretty light I think?

[attachment=0:34tqypmn]pattern.jpg[/attachment:34tqypmn]

We plan to seal them next. I am hoping that with the color variation we will not need frequent cleaning.
    They were just installed, so I can't really speak from experience yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

3. Back To Top    #3

I used paver lock colored sand for the walkway to the patio and it as well as the pavers only require pressure washing every few years. My color is red though so not sure if that makes a difference. Not sure how the pool will affect it.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

fyi ours is called Amaretto, a beige/tan mix
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys, the pavers we are looking at are almost white in color.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you're not talking about stone but concrete pavers.......I have Pavestone concrete pavers in "limestone" color.

They stay clean and white except where food/drinks have been spilled or in high traffic areas where dirt is brought in.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

7. Back To Top    #7

I have pavestone pavers that are dark and they do get very hot. They do hide or camouflage some rust spots that have occured from pool furniture and other things. If you go with a light color you might want to make sure your pool furniture and other items are made of materials that will not rust (Alum. PVC, etc.).
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the tip I didn't think about furniture and possible rust. Appreciate it!

9. Back To Top    #9

We have some mileage on our decking now... the amaretto pavers are fine and not too hard to keep clean. On the other hand, the cream coping is a solid color and shows all manner of dirt.
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

10. Back To Top    #10

Davelinde you just made me a little nervous. We are ready to purchase, from Artistic pavers, corallock in ivory for both coping and pavers. If I could get away with power washing it once or twice a swimming season I'll be ok with it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Not sure how to help ease nerves. For me the light color coping is OK. For my wife I think it bugs her a bit more.
    It seems to wash up OK so far. Here's a picture of the coping. As I said, the paver has some color variation and dirt "hides". With the coping you can see smudges. In this picture the bottom two arrows are sand that tracked in, while for comparison the topmost arrow is just water splashed.

Hope this helps, not stresses ya!

[attachment=0:2lr7toyr]light_coping.jpg[/attachment:2lr7toyr]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

12. Back To Top    #12

btw - I should note that all it took to clean off the sand smudge was another splash of water and rubbing it with my thumb, NOT a pressure washer. DW has a soft bristle brush she will hit it with when she sees a smudge that annoys her. As noted above, grease or drinks could stain for sure. So far I've spilled a beer and some red wine on ours but got a hose on it fast and it disappeared.
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa