Bond Beam Isolation

Dec 12, 2012
Here is a poll of sorts to see how many builders always insist on the isolation of the bond beam via a mastic joint with foam as compared to those which say a) never or b) depends on situation. I have seen many pools with both methods and am just wondering who feels they lean toward which way and why? Even if you are a not a PB and at least own a IG pool, does your pool have this expansion/mastic joint where the pool deck meets the bond beam/coping?

Jason, I agree with you but it seems as if some installs have considered something like a channel drain away from the bond beam to act as enough "give" for the expansion/contraction of the decking on a solid pour. Thoughts? I do feel with a deck constructed of pavers on a sand bed would not require the expansion joint at the bond beam as per the many small gaps to allow for movement.

We've seen many photos of solid slab pours, most with perfect cracks right at the edge of the bond beam. It really isn't something worth debating! You're correct regarding the pavers; my pool is the same way: about 2' of poured coping on the bond beam, then pavers. No cracks for me.

There are always exceptions, but around here most pool builders are not pool engineers. Each builder has their own ways of doing things. Most of these solutions do not have basic engineering or science or testing to back them up. Consider seeking advice about soils or structures from a pool engineer.

The web site referenced in the link below has some interesting pool engineering content. The second link discusses decking in relation to the pool shell/bond beam.

http://www.pooleng.com/Minimizing-Swimm ... av-66.aspx

Lizzy

Thanks for the replies. Lizzy, you brought out the big guns with your reference to Pool Engineering. I spoke with a team member of that company a few times and attended a few of their seminars at this past years expo. They are extremely knowledgable and their website is packed with must read info for PB's who are concerned with doing the project correctly the FIRST time.

cajuncpd said:
Thanks for the replies. Lizzy, you brought out the big guns with your reference to Pool Engineering. I spoke with a team member of that company a few times and attended a few of their seminars at this past years expo. They are extremely knowledgable and their website is packed with must read info for PB's who are concerned with doing the project correctly the FIRST time.

LOL, since you already knew the answer to your question, I'm gonna assign you one demerit for leading-the-witness.

Web sites like pooleng.com are a must read for pool owners too, because the info helps owners ensure the builder is using appropriate materials and methods.

All the best,
Lizzy

I posted this thread because I do not have all the answers and can never have enough resources. That being said, I was beginning to wonder if there were other mindsets or methodologies passing me by in the industry when it came to this topic. I have been seeing so many pools done without the isolation, it is scary to think how many pools will be faltering in the near future. I plead "not so guilty" on leading the witness. HaHa!

cajuncpd said:
...I have been seeing so many pools done without the isolation, it is scary to think how many pools will be faltering in the near future...

A homeowner in my neighborhood had a new 14,000 gal pool built last Spring. The PB built the shell, bond beam, and 3 ft wide deck (around the perimeter of the pool) out of gunite, with everything mechanically bonded using a web of rebar. Four weeks ago, the homeowner noticed the elevation of the pool at one end had raised an inch and there are some cracks in the gunite deck near the wall of the pool. The PB says moisture got under the deck and soil expansion exerted upward forces on the deck which then failed. PB says it's not covered because by contract, the owner is required to control and regulate moisture around and under the deck.

A very unfortunate outcome for the homeowner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ignor, I am rendered somewhat speechless by your neighbors circumstances. I am sure that is exactly what the homeowner was monitoring for his new dream oasis. On top of learning the ins and outs of pool chemicals and how to properly mix the perfect margarita, just exactly how is the homeowner to monitor the amount of moisture penetrating the soil UNDERNEATH his deck?! Wow. What a heart break and head ache as we turn the corner and start eyeballing another spring/summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.