Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how long do you run your pump in arizona winter

1. Back To Top    #1

how long do you run your pump in arizona winter

new to pool, service guy has pool running 4 hours nightly 7 days a week. water temp is around 40 degrees. what do you guys do here. 20,000 gallon inground pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how long do you run your pump in arizona winter

With the water that cold, one hour a day plus any time it is below freezing should be plenty.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I live in Houston. with the recent "cold" weather our pool water temperature is in the low 50's. I've cut the pump back to two hours and left the cleaner at an hour and a half per day. I also turned down our saltwater chlorinator to zero as I'm told it no longer functions with the water reaches around 55 degrees.
    28,000 gallon salt water pool
    DE Filter
    Inground plaster construction
    1-1/4 hp pump with 1hp booster pump

4. Back To Top    #4

You sure your water is 40 degrees, in Chandler

In Tucson, mine runs 4 hours a night, which is just enough to keep it clean-ish.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow I might be running mine more than needed. I think I hand it set for three 3 hour periods on low speed throughout the day.

Thermometer reads 45 if it can be believed.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

mine themo reads 40, was 46 when we got here last week, Thanks for the responses> will report what i find

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Water temp 45 and I'm running the pump 3 hrs per day.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm in chandler also with a 42,000 gallon pool and was told to run it according to the high temperature i.e. if the high is 70 run it 7 hours, high 50 run it 5 hours etc. maybe I'm running it too much!

9. Back To Top    #9

As a general rule nearly everyone is running their pumps too much Recent research has shown that in most situations pump run times don't even need to be half as long as they typically are right now to get the same effect, at a substantial savings in electricity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School