Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa leak??

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa leak??

Thanks in advance to everyone in this forum.
    I have a spa that came with my house. I think it is a 2004 or 2005 model. It is a 4-person spa and above ground. I haven't even used it that much. I was planning on draining, cleaning and refilling it. When I opened the siding I noticed there wasn't any drain hose - which I thought was weird, so I was planning on getting a pump to make it drain faster.
    But in the last heavy rains we got up here in Northern California, I noticed the ground around the spa was quite wet. Then after we had a dry spell for a couple weeks I noticed the water wasn't going away and finally some green was forming in certain spots.
    So obviously I started suspecting a leak. Any thoughts or advice? Is this situation common? Anyone know a good spa repair person in the Sacramento area?
    Thanks, again.
    Outdoor IG Plaster Pool @18,000 gallons
    Cartridge Filter: Jandy CL580 (filter area 580 ft2, Max Flow 150 gpm, 6-hr capacity 54,000g)
    Pool Built est. 2002

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Spa leak??

Most likely it is the pump shaft seal. Remove the side cover and look at the pump while it is running to see if there is water coming out around the front of the motor. The majority of the time that is where the problem is

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Spa leak??

Thanks - I will check that out!!
    Outdoor IG Plaster Pool @18,000 gallons
    Cartridge Filter: Jandy CL580 (filter area 580 ft2, Max Flow 150 gpm, 6-hr capacity 54,000g)
    Pool Built est. 2002