Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ACE system - Hot Springs Grandee

1. Back To Top    #1

ACE system - Hot Springs Grandee

I have a 3 yaer old Hot Spring Grandee that has the ACE system. I love it but... My second cell just went bad in 3 years. The first cell was covered under warranty but this one is going to cost $845.00 - ouch!

Any thoughts on other systems/approaches for the tub, or should I bite the bullet?

Thanks
    20x40 IG, 35,900 gallon, Vinyl, Pentair Tagelus Sand Filter, Pentair Master Temp Heater, Pentair SuperFlo Pump, Intellichlor SWG, Eclipse Auto Cover, Magic Stream Deck Jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ACE system - Hot Springs Grandee

Were it not for the failure rate, it would be a very good system since it's boron-doped diamond electrodes generate powerful hydroxyl radicals as well as some chlorine. If you want to change systems, then if you use the tub every day or two I'd suggest going with the Dichlor-then-bleach method and you can get a far less expensive ozonator. If you use the tub infrequently, only once or twice a week, then I'd skip the ozonator and you'd might consider using bromine tabs as another option.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Chem Geek. I am going to try one more cell. Will any certain maintenence routine extend the life?
    20x40 IG, 35,900 gallon, Vinyl, Pentair Tagelus Sand Filter, Pentair Master Temp Heater, Pentair SuperFlo Pump, Intellichlor SWG, Eclipse Auto Cover, Magic Stream Deck Jets

4. Back To Top    #4

The generation cell is very sensitive to calcium carbonate scaling, even more so than a traditional saltwater chlorine generator. This is why they have you use the Vanishing Act™ Calcium Remover bag to lower the calcium level to a recommended 50 ppm. Making sure the pH doesn't get too high will also help. You can also periodically clean the cell to remove scale. See the ACE FAQ.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the help.