Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thicker Solor Covers Warm Better?

1. Back To Top    #1

Thicker Solor Covers Warm Better?

I have a worn out 8mil cover now, and it's pretty effective at keeping the heat in over night (we can see 40's even in the summer.)

I need to replace it, and have read that because of longevity, buy the cheapest one you can, which would be 5mil. The 8mil is about $8 more for my 15x30, and the website has a graph showing better heat retention/warming with thicker covers. I don't want the really thick ones, too heavy, and a waste of money.

Does anyone have any experience that they can share in terms of effectiveness for different mils?

Thanks!
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thicker Solor Covers Warm Better?

The greatest benefit of a solar cover comes from it stopping surface evaporation and only a very little from it's insulating ability, so a thin cover is just as good as a thick cover at preventing evaporative cooling. Going above an 8mil won't gain you enough to notice. the only thing it will gain you is a heavier piece of fabric to handle.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Thicker Solor Covers Warm Better?

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The greatest benefit of a solar cover comes from it stopping surface evaporation and only a very little from it's insulating ability, so a thin cover is just as good as a thick cover at preventing evaporative cooling. Going above an 8mil won't gain you enough to notice. the only thing it will gain you is a heavier piece of fabric to handle.
    Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I'll save the $8 and spend it on cheap pool toys. ;->
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.