IC40 keeps building up scales after about 2 months

May 16, 2012
I had my pool(13k gals IG) re-done, new plaster, tile and equipment about 15 months ago, after about 6 months, I noticed the IC-40 SWG started putting out less chlorine, so had to raise the % from 20 to 40 to 60 to 80 then it basically quit putting out chlorine, I then determined the SWG was caked with scales, no wonder it quit, so after conferring with a pool expert, he said to add the Scale-free liquid route, I did and it did not seem to help much, maybe added 2-3 weeks before I had to clean again(which is now every 2 1/2 months)........by the way, after cleaning in a bucket and getting the plates clean and clear, the SWG puts out great at 20% for about 2 months.........been keeping the ph below 7.8( it is tough to do that) and keeping the alkalinity in the 120-150 range(also hard to do)..........using AquaChek pro strips.......any suggestions would help, cleaning this thing takes over an hour and I have to cut long popsicle-like sticks to assist in loosening the scale from between the plates, acid mix doesn't get it all. :hammer:

Welcome to TFP!

You should post a complete set of water test results. It is also important to know the TA and CH levels of your fill water.

Keeping your levels properly balanced will prevent scaling. Obviously that isn't happening right now. The best way to achieve balanced levels very much depends on what your levels are now and how much your fill water tends to push up those levels.

By the by, test strips are not especially reliable and that tends to lead to problems.

I'm using the Aquachek pro strips..........recommended by the pool equipment installer..........it checks tot chlor, free chlor, ph and tot alk, I think a better test kit might be in order.

Mrgadget said:
I'm using the Aquachek pro strips..........recommended by the pool equipment installer..........it checks tot chlor, free chlor, ph and tot alk, I think a better test kit might be in order.

Agreed. I've used strips and found them reasonably accurate but the precision is so low (wide ranges) that I don't use them and use the TF-100 kit.

Welcome! You have found a great place with knowledgeable people... I'm not one of them, but I've found the others are!! :)

In general, I've followed the guidance here and have not been misguided. I would recommend the TF-100 kit (I was reluctant at first, but would not turn back). It enabled me to keep my pool in almost perfect balance my first year, with minimal intervention. Once you have the numbers, then we can help better.

I also have the IC40 model on my 17k pool and have not had to clean it after 5 months of use. I've had great luck with it. I also have used Borates in my pool, and imagine it has made my job easier (but have not tried without so cannot confirm). Best of luck!!

The most important thing you need to test is the Calcium Hardness. It sounds like that is the problem. If it is real high it will keep caking up on the plates. Or if you have a bad cell that isn't reversing....?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is well understood that a SWG (and/or water features/spa/etc) result in rising pH. But, if you lower the TA and test and adjust every couple days as we recommend, then it is certainly possible without as automation system.

While the SWG may allow you to pay a little less attention to the chlorine levels, it should be understood that more attention should be paid to the pH levels.

In addition to a good test kit, I'd recommend getting one of the apps for your smart phone that will quickly bring some meaning to the results: "LSI Calculator" is okay but for a couple bucks more, you can get "Pool Calculator" that does a more comprehensive calcite saturation index. Get this in line and your scaling problems will most likely disappear. Plus, the app does everything else you could possibly need...It's well worth the $4.99 price.

circupool said:
In addition to a good test kit, I'd recommend getting one of the apps for your smart phone that will quickly bring some meaning to the results: "LSI Calculator" is okay but for a couple bucks more, you can get "Pool Calculator" that does a more comprehensive calcite saturation index. Get this in line and your scaling problems will most likely disappear. Plus, the app does everything else you could possibly need...It's well worth the $4.99 price.

For which platform?

pSiFlow Technology makes an app called Pool Calculator app for the iPhone for $4.99
Green Brook Software makes an app called Pool Calculator for Android for $4.99

I reviewed a number of iPhone apps but not the pSiFlow one. Those reviews are located here: smartphone-app-reviews-iphone-apps-t52482.html?hilit=iphone

I have not seen any good reviews of the Android or iPhone Pool Calculator application you mention and given the lack of a free trial version and the high price tag compared to other apps of this type I would love to see someone review these in a manner similar to what I did for the other apps in my thread.

I use the app "Pool Calculator" by pSiFlow Tech on an iPhone5. I assume that they have an Android version as well but do not know for sure. For any parameter that you are testing, if you hit the info button, it has a good explanation of what you are looking at.

circupool said:
I use the app "Pool Calculator" by pSiFlow Tech on an iPhone5. I assume that they have an Android version as well but do not know for sure. For any parameter that you are testing, if you hit the info button, it has a good explanation of what you are looking at.

pSiFlow Tech does not seem to offer any Android applications. I have both an iPhone and an Android phone but I don't currently feel like wasting $10 to look at both apps side by side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.