Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IC40 keeps building up scales after about 2 months

1. Back To Top    #1

IC40 keeps building up scales after about 2 months

I had my pool(13k gals IG) re-done, new plaster, tile and equipment about 15 months ago, after about 6 months, I noticed the IC-40 SWG started putting out less chlorine, so had to raise the % from 20 to 40 to 60 to 80 then it basically quit putting out chlorine, I then determined the SWG was caked with scales, no wonder it quit, so after conferring with a pool expert, he said to add the Scale-free liquid route, I did and it did not seem to help much, maybe added 2-3 weeks before I had to clean again(which is now every 2 1/2 months)........by the way, after cleaning in a bucket and getting the plates clean and clear, the SWG puts out great at 20% for about 2 months.........been keeping the ph below 7.8( it is tough to do that) and keeping the alkalinity in the 120-150 range(also hard to do)..........using AquaChek pro strips.......any suggestions would help, cleaning this thing takes over an hour and I have to cut long popsicle-like sticks to assist in loosening the scale from between the plates, acid mix doesn't get it all.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IC40 keeps building up scales after about 2 months

Welcome to TFP!

You should post a complete set of water test results. It is also important to know the TA and CH levels of your fill water.

Keeping your levels properly balanced will prevent scaling. Obviously that isn't happening right now. The best way to achieve balanced levels very much depends on what your levels are now and how much your fill water tends to push up those levels.

By the by, test strips are not especially reliable and that tends to lead to problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Jason. Also the TA level you quote is higher than typically recommended with a SWG. How are you testing the pH?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm using the Aquachek pro strips..........recommended by the pool equipment installer..........it checks tot chlor, free chlor, ph and tot alk, I think a better test kit might be in order.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Mrgadget
    I'm using the Aquachek pro strips..........recommended by the pool equipment installer..........it checks tot chlor, free chlor, ph and tot alk, I think a better test kit might be in order.
    Agreed. I've used strips and found them reasonably accurate but the precision is so low (wide ranges) that I don't use them and use the TF-100 kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome! You have found a great place with knowledgeable people... I'm not one of them, but I've found the others are!!

In general, I've followed the guidance here and have not been misguided. I would recommend the TF-100 kit (I was reluctant at first, but would not turn back). It enabled me to keep my pool in almost perfect balance my first year, with minimal intervention. Once you have the numbers, then we can help better.

I also have the IC40 model on my 17k pool and have not had to clean it after 5 months of use. I've had great luck with it. I also have used Borates in my pool, and imagine it has made my job easier (but have not tried without so cannot confirm). Best of luck!!
    17'x36' Freeform (Omni/Gemini shape) Polymer Vinyl Liner Pool; Made by Hydra Pools; 6' Water Depth; Cantilever Concrete Stamped Coping; 8' Radius White Step; 8' White Cozy Cove with 6 Jets; 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow 2-Speed Pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge Filter; Kreepy Krauly Legend Pool Sweep; 2 Skimmers; 4 Returns; 2" Rigid PVC; Pentair 5G LED Light; Pacific Ultra Mesh Safety Cover; Pentair Intellichlor IC 40; 3 Deck Jets

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to all for the suggestions...........will start with a good test kit and go from there.
    Frank

8. Back To Top    #8

The most important thing you need to test is the Calcium Hardness. It sounds like that is the problem. If it is real high it will keep caking up on the plates. Or if you have a bad cell that isn't reversing....?

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, the calcium hardness sure looks to be the culprit..............will check that first when the new kit comes..........thanks, Frank

10. Back To Top    #10

Although, if the pH is kept in the correct range ... a high CH should not result in scaling. Granted you would need to maintain a lower pH than someone with a lower CH.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Maintaining a lower PH with a salt system is very difficult unless you have an intelliPH system or the like.

12. Back To Top    #12

It is well understood that a SWG (and/or water features/spa/etc) result in rising pH. But, if you lower the TA and test and adjust every couple days as we recommend, then it is certainly possible without as automation system.

While the SWG may allow you to pay a little less attention to the chlorine levels, it should be understood that more attention should be paid to the pH levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

In addition to a good test kit, I'd recommend getting one of the apps for your smart phone that will quickly bring some meaning to the results: "LSI Calculator" is okay but for a couple bucks more, you can get "Pool Calculator" that does a more comprehensive calcite saturation index. Get this in line and your scaling problems will most likely disappear. Plus, the app does everything else you could possibly need...It's well worth the $4.99 price.
    Don Uhle, Discount Salt Pool

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by circupool
    In addition to a good test kit, I'd recommend getting one of the apps for your smart phone that will quickly bring some meaning to the results: "LSI Calculator" is okay but for a couple bucks more, you can get "Pool Calculator" that does a more comprehensive calcite saturation index. Get this in line and your scaling problems will most likely disappear. Plus, the app does everything else you could possibly need...It's well worth the $4.99 price.
    For which platform?

pSiFlow Technology makes an app called Pool Calculator app for the iPhone for $4.99
    Green Brook Software makes an app called Pool Calculator for Android for $4.99

I reviewed a number of iPhone apps but not the pSiFlow one. Those reviews are located here: smartphone-app-reviews-iphone-apps-t52482.html?hilit=iphone

I have not seen any good reviews of the Android or iPhone Pool Calculator application you mention and given the lack of a free trial version and the high price tag compared to other apps of this type I would love to see someone review these in a manner similar to what I did for the other apps in my thread.

15. Back To Top    #15

you can always just go to the web site on the mobile browser.
    http://poolcalculator.com/
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    you can always just go to the web site on the mobile browser.
    http://poolcalculator.com/
    I do that. But it's clunky and painful to use compared with a true mobile interface.

17. Back To Top    #17

I use the app "Pool Calculator" by pSiFlow Tech on an iPhone5. I assume that they have an Android version as well but do not know for sure. For any parameter that you are testing, if you hit the info button, it has a good explanation of what you are looking at.
    Don Uhle, Discount Salt Pool

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by circupool
    I use the app "Pool Calculator" by pSiFlow Tech on an iPhone5. I assume that they have an Android version as well but do not know for sure. For any parameter that you are testing, if you hit the info button, it has a good explanation of what you are looking at.
    pSiFlow Tech does not seem to offer any Android applications. I have both an iPhone and an Android phone but I don't currently feel like wasting $10 to look at both apps side by side.