Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Jandy 2hp Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Jandy 2hp Pump

Hey guys,

I have a Jandy pump that has started making a very loud squealing noise when I turn it on. I was going to replace just the motor but my strainer basket has a lid on it that is insanely difficult to remove. It's a clear lid with 4 notches on top and nothing to grip on! I thought I would do myself a favor and replace it with one of the easier to remove lids with summer coming up.

I called Poolcenter.com and they don't carry the Jandy Stealth in stock. It's what I was considering replacing it with. Is it a bad choice for my situation? Any recommendations or comments are appreciated!
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Jandy 2hp Pump

Unless you have a water feature or your spa requires it, that's a very large pump for that pool. I'd look at something smaller if you could.

Having said that, I'd ask what comparable model your pool store carried and post that for comparison.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

We do have a rather large spa that has 6 jets on it... but I also thought the same thing. The filtration system is also very large on my pool. It's a large 4 cartridge filter.

How do I know if I should go with a smaller pump? I can post pictures of my spa if that would help.

I'll call the pool store and post an update.
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!

4. Back To Top    #4

The best thing to do is post the jet sizes and plumbing sizes and lengths and see if Mark (mas985) will take a look at it for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I would go with the exact same pump if you weren't having any problems with it before. There are plenty of places on the internet you can get a Jandy 2HP pump. I would sell you one out of my warehouse but it is a lot easier on the internet.