How to mix down Chlorine, whats the calculation?

Dixit

Jul 16, 2012
Duluth, GA (ATL)
This is somewhat of a side topic, not really pool/spa related but I thought it was more of a chemistry question. I cant remember chem101 for the life of me.

I have about 9 184oz of 6% Chlorox Bleach (inside my house and in a dark room about 65F) and my wife just ran out of that Chlorox Cleanup stuff. Now I remember somewhere on how to make it for a fraction of the cost.

I believe the Chlorox cleanup shows a 1.84% of Sodium hypochlorite content. If I have these 6% Chlorine jugs, whats the calc to create that 1.84% content?

If it say as simple as say 50:50 mix of 6% Chlorine with water halves the content to then 3%? So if I did say a 2:1 (water to chlorine) and it brings it to 2% (close enough) would that do it? Or is it not as simple as that?

I tried to google this and couldnt find anything. I see tons of links on how to make this Chlorox Cleanup, they all say use x amount of Bleach, but no one ever mentions is it 3% bleech? 5% bleach? 6%? 9%? I mean clearly we all know from the pool side these jugs come in many different strengths.

Dixit

Right, but I thought keeping it in a dark (closet for me) and in our basement which sits normally between 60-70F would decrease the decay rate. I believe its been in there for about 4months now. I bought the a few 3pack 184oz jugs from Costco when we were in the process of changing out some pool equipment and thought the equipment might be down for awhile so had it as backup to throw it in the pool to keep the FC at above 3ppm.

What you think its at now if its been say 4months?

Dixit

Not sure what you mean, why bother what trying to calculate the decay rate? I wasnt going to be honest. Was just going to say do a 50:50 mix if it decayed some.

I have these jugs just sitting there and since its winter, they probably wont be used for at least another 4-6months (even longer since my SWG is running fine and my pool is not closed right now). I thought I might as well use them around the house for cleaning or something before it decays to useless levels (from a pool perspective).

Dixit

For 6% bleach stored in a cool dark place you can more or less assume that it is full strength for six months or more. That isn't strictly true, but the loss of strength will be small and can be ignored in most situations.

The stronger the concentration the more quickly it will decay. With 12.5% you need to start thinking about decay issues after perhaps a month in storage.

Good deal. So even if we took worst case scenario and assumed lets say its decayed 1-2% or something. I can just do a 50:50 mix for now. Even if it turns out to be full strength, 3% Chlorox cleanup isnt going to be any more harmful than 1.84% for what my wife and I use it for. She uses it for Spraying down the tile grout once in awhile to whiten the grout. Works like a champ. Then she also uses it to spot shoot white clothes minutes before throwing them into the washer for a white load.

Dixit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.