Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to mix down Chlorine, whats the calculation?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to mix down Chlorine, whats the calculation?

This is somewhat of a side topic, not really pool/spa related but I thought it was more of a chemistry question. I cant remember chem101 for the life of me.

I have about 9 184oz of 6% Chlorox Bleach (inside my house and in a dark room about 65F) and my wife just ran out of that Chlorox Cleanup stuff. Now I remember somewhere on how to make it for a fraction of the cost.

I believe the Chlorox cleanup shows a 1.84% of Sodium hypochlorite content. If I have these 6% Chlorine jugs, whats the calc to create that 1.84% content?

If it say as simple as say 50:50 mix of 6% Chlorine with water halves the content to then 3%? So if I did say a 2:1 (water to chlorine) and it brings it to 2% (close enough) would that do it? Or is it not as simple as that?

I tried to google this and couldnt find anything. I see tons of links on how to make this Chlorox Cleanup, they all say use x amount of Bleach, but no one ever mentions is it 3% bleech? 5% bleach? 6%? 9%? I mean clearly we all know from the pool side these jugs come in many different strengths.

Dixit
    Picture of Pool
    14,000 Gallon Freeform Plaster based pool. 1,000 Gallon Spa with Spillage Basin. Jandy Aquapure Ei Salt Water Chlorine Generator. Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter. Sta-Rite P6E6G-208L Filter Pump. Jandy JHP2.0 Spillage Pump. Jandy LX400 Heater. Caretaker 99 Floor cleaner. Polaris Leaf-B-Gone. iAqualink.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to mix down Chlorine, whats the calculation?

Looking around a bit more I think it is as simple as I thought. So for me to get 1.84% from 6%, I just need to do a 2.26:1 (water to 6% chlorine) ratio and I would get 1.84% reduced chlorine at the end.

Dixit
    Picture of Pool
    14,000 Gallon Freeform Plaster based pool. 1,000 Gallon Spa with Spillage Basin. Jandy Aquapure Ei Salt Water Chlorine Generator. Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter. Sta-Rite P6E6G-208L Filter Pump. Jandy JHP2.0 Spillage Pump. Jandy LX400 Heater. Caretaker 99 Floor cleaner. Polaris Leaf-B-Gone. iAqualink.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The Bleach loses strength over time....how old is it?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Right, but I thought keeping it in a dark (closet for me) and in our basement which sits normally between 60-70F would decrease the decay rate. I believe its been in there for about 4months now. I bought the a few 3pack 184oz jugs from Costco when we were in the process of changing out some pool equipment and thought the equipment might be down for awhile so had it as backup to throw it in the pool to keep the FC at above 3ppm.

What you think its at now if its been say 4months?

Dixit
    Picture of Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Why bother? Just use less.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Not sure what you mean, why bother what trying to calculate the decay rate? I wasnt going to be honest. Was just going to say do a 50:50 mix if it decayed some.

I have these jugs just sitting there and since its winter, they probably wont be used for at least another 4-6months (even longer since my SWG is running fine and my pool is not closed right now). I thought I might as well use them around the house for cleaning or something before it decays to useless levels (from a pool perspective).

Dixit
    Picture of Pool

7. Back To Top    #7

For 6% bleach stored in a cool dark place you can more or less assume that it is full strength for six months or more. That isn't strictly true, but the loss of strength will be small and can be ignored in most situations.

The stronger the concentration the more quickly it will decay. With 12.5% you need to start thinking about decay issues after perhaps a month in storage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Good deal. So even if we took worst case scenario and assumed lets say its decayed 1-2% or something. I can just do a 50:50 mix for now. Even if it turns out to be full strength, 3% Chlorox cleanup isnt going to be any more harmful than 1.84% for what my wife and I use it for. She uses it for Spraying down the tile grout once in awhile to whiten the grout. Works like a champ. Then she also uses it to spot shoot white clothes minutes before throwing them into the washer for a white load.

Dixit
    Picture of Pool