How do you trouble shoot a heater

Turn the power off, remove the screw and clean all the wires and terminal with a scotch pad or something similar.

I don't know much about those timers so I'll guess that they are wired so there is no power to the heater unless the pump is running.
So once it is cleaned up, turn on the pump and check for voltage (AC) at the black and white wires on that block.

CarrolltonTXPool said:
Also, not sure what this is but is it supposed to look like this? [attachment=0:30d6l1ts]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358635129.236383.jpg[/attachment:30d6l1ts]

This is the pressure switch. It does look a bit corroded and you might want to think about replacing it unless of course you just decide that all of the work you are putting into this heater might not be worth is and purchase a newer one instead. Sometimes you end up spending lots of time and money on a unit that isn't worth repairing and then it's just time to bite the bullet and buy a new unit.

CarrolltonTXPool, with all the time you have invested in this it would have been cheaper for you to call a professional and have them look over the unit. If you schedule it right and you are there you could learn some valuable info as well. Sometimes you just have to do this. You might start down the wrong path to fixing this old unit and then find out that it has more issues then you thought.

bigdav160 said:
Turn the power off, remove the screw and clean all the wires and terminal with a scotch pad or something similar.

I don't know much about those timers so I'll guess that they are wired so there is no power to the heater unless the pump is running.
So once it is cleaned up, turn on the pump and check for voltage (AC) at the black and white wires on that block.

Not sure cleaning wires will much of anything. But if you should decide to do this you had better make sure the power is truly off before you go messing around with them. If by some chance there is a back feed because someone screwed with something you will be asking for trouble and a big shock in your life.

ps0303 said:
CarrolltonTXPool said:
Also, not sure what this is but is it supposed to look like this? [attachment=0:3c5adlbi]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358635129.236383.jpg[/attachment:3c5adlbi]

This is the pressure switch. It does look a bit corroded and you might want to think about replacing it unless of course you just decide that all of the work you are putting into this heater might not be worth is and purchase a newer one instead. Sometimes you end up spending lots of time and money on a unit that isn't worth repairing and then it's just time to bite the bullet and buy a new unit.

CarrolltonTXPool, with all the time you have invested in this it would have been cheaper for you to call a professional and have them look over the unit. If you schedule it right and you are there you could learn some valuable info as well. Sometimes you just have to do this. You might start down the wrong path to fixing this old unit and then find out that it has more issues then you thought.

Yeah, that is what I am starting to think I should do. Don't want to start replacing parts that aren't the problem. I don't use it near enough to replace it (came with the house) but if I can get by with a few repairs I'd do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think i would replace that pressure switch, at least. That would sure explain the symptom, "Worked fine last winter and spring, Didn't use it through the summer and now it won't fire." Probably the least expensive part.

Or...

Only if you are comfortable doing this, jump that pressure switch TEMPORARILY! Only long enough to confirm if heater fires or doesn't. If it fires, disconnect and replace switch. If it don't fire, reconnect to the switch and continue with troubleshooting.

Pool Clown said:
I think i would replace that pressure switch, at least. That would sure explain the symptom, "Worked fine last winter and spring, Didn't use it through the summer and now it won't fire." Probably the least expensive part.

Or...

Only if you are comfortable doing this, jump that pressure switch TEMPORARILY! Only long enough to confirm the heater fires or doesn't (as soon as it fires, disconnect), then reconnect to the switch and continue with repair or troubleshooting.

I've seen this mentioned before. How exactly do you jump this switch?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool Clown said:
Remove the two wires from the switch and connect them together.

No way. I've seen what happens:

371-dont-cross-the-streams.jpg

Just kidding.

imageuploadedbytapatalkr.jpg

so the top right wire and the bottom left wire?

You need to replace that pressure switch regardless if its the problem or not. That is not how they are supposed to look. I would cut them and put new connectors on them, and replace that switch asap.

UPDATE: So due to various reasons nothing was done until today. We are about to put the house on the market and want to get estimates to fix things. Had a professional come out and said the following:

"Pressure switch is bad, and leaked on the gas valve. Will need to replace both those and a blown fuse. Even then it may not fire because all of that is pre ignitor."

I paraphrase as I was not there and this was over the phone. He will be changing two light bulbs as well, so that will cover my trip charge. Waiting on the estimate now, but didn't want to rush into the heater if i should maybe get a 2nd opinion.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Edit:

Just looking here: http://www.parts4heating.com/Pool-H...tm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=463&show=150&page=1

A gas valve is $284.26, a pressure switch is $84.58, with labor i could easily be looking at $500+. Not sure it wouldn't be better to list it as pool with inoperable heater and call it a day. especially if fixing these won't guarantee it will work.

I have had customers who are selling and instead of repairing it, they have me remove it and just loop the pipes together and cap the gas. Then they list as is and make no mention of a heater. Yes it might make some perspective buyers mad it doesn't have a heater but for some sellers its better to let the buyer foot the bill for a new one. Also, I read in your signature line, it looks like you just have a pool so a heater isn't really necessary. Let the buyer take care of it.

I have had customers who are selling and instead of repairing it, they have me remove it and just loop the pipes together and cap the gas. Then they list as is and make no mention of a heater. Yes it might make some perspective buyers mad it doesn't have a heater but for some sellers its better to let the buyer foot the bill for a new one. Also, I read in your signature line, it looks like you just have a pool so a heater isn't really necessary. Let the buyer take care of it.

Thanks for the response. it does have a spa that flows into the pool, just never thought to put that in the signature!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.