Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you trouble shoot a heater

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you trouble shoot a heater

Worked fine last winter and spring, Didn't use it through the summer and now it won;'t fire. Knob inside is turned to on. any ideas where to start?

new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you trouble shoot a heater

Is filter clean, water level good? Sometimes that will trip the saftey.
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: HOw do you trouble shoot a heater

If the unit doesn't do anything when turned on, the place to start is to measure the voltage at various steps along the safety protection switch circuit to see if any of the protection switches are keeping it turned off. In the electrical diagram this is the row of connections across the top from the transformer to the temperature control panel. Starting at the transformer you should be able to confirm 24 volts. Then check over at the control pane and see if the 24 volts is getting to there. If not, track back along the string of switches to see which of them is open.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

i had a similar issue at the start of summer. The tech came out and used a jumper to test each of the connections. basically where you see two cables connected to the same piece of equipment use a jumper between them (remove them from the equipment and connect them using a copper cable with clamps on each end). This helped them isolate the issue within 5 minutes.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you try it in both the spa and pool switch positions? That will eliminate a chunk of the circuitry.
    Mike
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

6. Back To Top    #6

I am terrible with these. What do I art it on to test the voltage?

[attachment=0:fmirgy2n]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357427278.384039.jpg[/attachment:fmirgy2n]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

7. Back To Top    #7

2, 20, 600. 20 what i use on car. Its just where the decimal is right guys?
    Where its switched at now to make a noise on continuity .
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

8. Back To Top    #8

You will want the meter set to ACV at the 200 mark. That will set the meter up to measure AC Volts, with the max range of 200.
    Late 1970's 39000L IG Concrete Pool with Vinyl Liner
    Austral FT55 Sand filter
    Hurlcon E170 Pump Brochure,Manual
    32-40mm Pipe work
    Living in beautiful New Zealand

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a self powered version of the Lite2 (it generates all the power it needs from a generator heated by the pilot flame) and I've found the original manual that came with it has an excellent detailed electrical troubleshooting section, that if you follow to the letter, will isolate almost any fault. I had non-starting behaviors and after following the guide and replacing my pilot generator and low pressure switch it now works extremely well. Never-the-less, my setup is particularly sensitive to having a clean filter and the heater won't operate if my sand filter is anything more than half it's way towards needing to be backwashed.

Gregg
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the help. I will look for the manual from the previous owner. My volt meter battery wasn't working and I gone to the store twice and forgot to get a replacement 9 volt.

11. Back To Top    #11

~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

12. Back To Top    #12

I thought the manual would have a good trouble shooting section but it doesn't look like it. The Jandy Lite 2 millivolt model I have has a great trouble shooting section. Never-the-less, being able to print out a schematic page, instead of bending over to study a schematic is definitely worth the price of admission.

Edit:

Here's the manual I was thinking of with a good section on theory of operation and troubleshooting (especially section 10.4.3 and on). The major difference between your model and the model in this manual is the operating voltage that the heater works off of. Instead of measuring 220-750mVDC at various locations, you should be seeing 24VAC. This manual along with the one that Mike linked to, should get you understanding what's happening.

http://www.propools.com/instructions...-LG-models.pdf
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

In your first post, you mentioned that "it did not fire", but does the fan come on?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown
    In your first post, you mentioned that "it did not fire", but does the fan come on?
    There is no fan on this model.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Ah, your right. Just saw the igniter and didn't bother to look for a blower on the shcem.

"He's a clown...Ignore him."
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

16. Back To Top    #16

[attachment=0:23oglzpg]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358634398.638552.jpg[/attachment:23oglzpg]I am assuming this box is the transformer. Where do I but the black and red metal prongs from the voltmeter? I can't seemed to get a voltage. Starting to wonder if this things isn't getting power. It's wired into the rest of the power inside the timer box. And everything else works.

17. Back To Top    #17

Also, not sure what this is but is it supposed to look like this? [attachment=0:7yth9rvm]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358635129.236383.jpg[/attachment:7yth9rvm]

18. Back To Top    #18

This terminal is where the main wires come in from the timer box. [attachment=0:2c99d4ff]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358635361.770355.jpg[/attachment:2c99d4ff]

When I touch the red and black prongs of the volt meter to the same screw, nothing happens. Same on both screws. A little dash pops up next to the zeros but that's it.

19. Back To Top    #19

This is where those two black words end up in the timer box. They come out of a feed line, are in separate twist connectors, then are the two black wires coming from the right. How can I test here?

[attachment=0:2fvd9efn]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358635699.303302.jpg[/attachment:2fvd9efn]

20. Back To Top    #20

Those are the power in terminals (on the top right side of the schematic)

One probe of your meter on the black wire and one probe on the white wire should read 240v (or close)

If not, your breaker (sorry, looks like it's connected to your timer) in the panel is probably tripped.

EDIT: I'd be careful!!!!! If energized there will be 240v on those screws. Turn off the breaker and try to remove those wires and clean.

It appears to be overheated and burned.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast