After reading the advice here, I attempted switching to bleach as a shocking agent for my 19,000 gal indoor gunite pool which uses bromine for sanitation. I used http://www.thepoolcalculator.com/ with TFP suggestions and 15 FC goal from a base of 0 (I'd used Oxone-based shocks before so there was no measurable FC). That required 6 jugs of 6% bleach.
After the shock, there was intense chlorine odor in the pool room for days, something I haven't experienced with Ca-hypo or Li-hypo shocks. I'm wondering whether this is normal or a sign that something didn't go according to plan.