Pool Safety Cover installation - Did we do it right?

Sep 7, 2012
Noblesville, IN
I ordered a safety cover for our new-to-us 24k gallon in-ground pool this fall. With my Dad's help (he's a professional pool boy) we drilled the holes for the anchors and installed it ourselves. When we had a company come close our pool (back in October) I specifically asked him if we should lower the pool water level for the winter (we're in central Indiana) and he said it wasn't necessary and he doesn't lower the water level when he closes pools. Since I was new to the pool closing routine I went with his advice. A few rain storms later the water level rose to cover the middle of the safety cover. I lowered the water level with a small pump I had and tightened the springs on the cover as it started to sag in the middle a bit. We've since gotten more rain and I'm sure the water level has come up a bit. Currently, we have snow and ice on the cover. It's very tight (50-75% spring compression) but the snow and ice have weighed the cover down again and the cover is, again, below the water line due to the weight of snow and ice on it. There isn't much I can do now that everything is frozen. I've read up on safety covers and see that we should have lowered the water level. We're due to thaw out later next week and I plan to lower it a foot then. (it may take all day with my pump, but we'll get there) My question: Is it common for ice and snow to weigh down safety covers? I know they're supposed to let water through but I would think snow would weigh them down. I can tighten the cover a little bit more before I get to the end of the strap length. How tight is too tight? Will the ice and snow damage my cover? (Ok, that's three questions....)

I think it depends on the cover, my cover instructions say to lower the water level (no more than 2 feet) the springs on my cover are supposed to be at 60% compressed to be correct.
I currently have 9 inches of snow on the cover and deck and the center does sag to water level. My cover instructions say the water supports the weight of the cover and snow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.