Teledyne LAARS Lite 2 - ignitor/pressure switch problems

Jan 4, 2013
I have a Teledyne LAARS Lite 2 pool heater that was installed in 2002. The igniter was working but the heater was shutting off before it reached the targeted temperature. I cleaned the main filter assuming the pressure may have been shutting off the heater. This was resolved but now the igniter is not working and I noticed the pressure switch has a small leak. I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance on trouble shooting the problem(s).

What model of Lite 2 do you have, LD or LJ? Does you heater have dial(s) or a digital read out? If digital, what does the display read? Bad pressure due to a dirty filter would cause the heater to not turn on at all as the pressure isn't great enough. Are you sure it's a pressure switch leak and not leaking from somewhere else?

I appreciate your help. The heater is analog (dials) - I had already cleaned the filters to ensure it was not a pressure issue and this didn't resolve the problem. I originally thought the leak was coming from somewhere else but I discovered it was the pressure switch. It is leaking directly from the switch. I am wondering if this is why the heater is shutting off.

Is the switch leaking from where it attaches to the copper tube? Or from around the seam? If the seam then yes, that could be keeping the switch from staying closed, and shutting the heater down. You could do a continuity test on the switch while the filter is running to confirm if it is working. You will need to disconnect the wires from the switch first.

Another thing that would allow the heater to fire for a while then quit could be one of the bypasses. Does the heater heat to certain temp(not the set point) before it shuts down? And then does it try to fire again, say 1 to 2 min later?

The new pressure switch fixed the problem. The replacement pressure switch is adjustable from 1-10psi. The factory setting was 10psi. My heater is 1-2 feet below the spa level. Should I adjust the psi down? Thank you again for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.