Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Teledyne LAARS Lite 2 - ignitor/pressure switch problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Teledyne LAARS Lite 2 - ignitor/pressure switch problems

I have a Teledyne LAARS Lite 2 pool heater that was installed in 2002. The igniter was working but the heater was shutting off before it reached the targeted temperature. I cleaned the main filter assuming the pressure may have been shutting off the heater. This was resolved but now the igniter is not working and I noticed the pressure switch has a small leak. I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance on trouble shooting the problem(s).

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Teledyne LAARS Lite 2 - ignitor/pressure switch problems

What model of Lite 2 do you have, LD or LJ? Does you heater have dial(s) or a digital read out? If digital, what does the display read? Bad pressure due to a dirty filter would cause the heater to not turn on at all as the pressure isn't great enough. Are you sure it's a pressure switch leak and not leaking from somewhere else?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

I appreciate your help. The heater is analog (dials) - I had already cleaned the filters to ensure it was not a pressure issue and this didn't resolve the problem. I originally thought the leak was coming from somewhere else but I discovered it was the pressure switch. It is leaking directly from the switch. I am wondering if this is why the heater is shutting off.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is the switch leaking from where it attaches to the copper tube? Or from around the seam? If the seam then yes, that could be keeping the switch from staying closed, and shutting the heater down. You could do a continuity test on the switch while the filter is running to confirm if it is working. You will need to disconnect the wires from the switch first.

Another thing that would allow the heater to fire for a while then quit could be one of the bypasses. Does the heater heat to certain temp(not the set point) before it shuts down? And then does it try to fire again, say 1 to 2 min later?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

It is leaking from the seam. How would I do a continuity test? It does not seem to to shut off a a set lower temp and the heater does not always turn back on.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You will want to replace the switch, so there is no need to check for continuity. Replace and check again for proper operation.

If it is heating to a certain temp each time, could be bad therm-by-pass, temp sensor, or thermostat.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you again for your help. I will let you know how it works out.

8. Back To Top    #8

The new pressure switch fixed the problem. The replacement pressure switch is adjustable from 1-10psi. The factory setting was 10psi. My heater is 1-2 feet below the spa level. Should I adjust the psi down? Thank you again for your help.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by NCPOOL1
    Should I adjust the psi down?
    To limit the risk of confusing you, i will say: Adjust it so the switch requires more pressure to close.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks again - You saved me a lot of money and I learned more about how the system worked. Win - Win!