Pump noise

Bearing may be going, wait till the motor dies then replace motor with new or rebuilt motor. No maintenance normally needed, the pump shaft seal may be leaking water, that kills bearings. Ensure the bottom of the motor is clean/clear of debris.

Clearing the debris away will help prevent the motor from overheating. However, your pump's problem sounds more like bad bearings which can happen after the pump seal goes bad.

Thanks for the link to the video. I am moderately handy, and the guy who helps me with my pool is very handy, so it should be easy for us.

I'm not sure the sound is the bearings. The pump is less than 2 years old. I'll follow the advice to let it fail before doing anything.

If you're at all comfortable with mechanical DIY, bearings are definitely doable, and should cost you less than $20.

Looks like new for $150 or so or replace the bearing yourself.
Here's some info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cThUqK8Hiok
How handy are you?

Has anyone here replaced bearings? How long does it take? The guy I was going to get to help me is a friend and a part time pool guy. He said replacing bearings is more trouble than it is worth and it is easier to replace the motor. What do you think?

It is certainly easier to just replace the motor but it is also much more expensive.

Here is a complete procedure to help you decide:

[youtube:3gw3ng4t]-dswCzYlmNE[/youtube:3gw3ng4t]
[youtube:3gw3ng4t]w5jyVfNHrSg[/youtube:3gw3ng4t]
[youtube:3gw3ng4t]tSinR3I5DlA[/youtube:3gw3ng4t]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got two pumps and two filters. One of them blew its bearings a year and a half ago. I did that one, and when the other one goes, I'll do that one too.

Bearings are less than $10 each from Grainger. You should be able to cross reference with the number stamped on the rubber seal. I used a cheap 3 jaw puller from harbor freight. To put the new ones on, I used a 4" nipple of black pipe that was just larger than the shaft but the same size as the inner race. I carefully hammered it back on using a hammer. The correct way would be to use a press if you can get access, but my cheap man's way has worked just fine so far. I'm hooking up the plumbing later this week to open up my pool, so I can let you know if I'm good to go with year number two.

Bearings have a finite life, so I fully expect pump number two to need to be done very soon, and I won't hesitate to redo it. I just can't see replacing the whole motor if it's just the bearings. If there's nothing wrong with the case or the windings, it seems like a waste of money.

I bumbled my way through the job (had never done one before) and it probably took about 2-3 hours. I fully expect the second go around to be less than an hour.

Here's some pictures to see what the motor looks like removed from the housing. The gooped up grease should be on the inside of the bearing, not the outside, and is the clear evidence that the bearing was shot. The bearing in the bottom picture had the exact same problem, it's just on back side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.